Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby hummingbirds??

Posted by stevie713 zone 6 SWPa (My Page) on
Tue, May 2, 06 at 23:00

Can you tell me if these are baby hummingbirds or something else? I took both of these photos in 2002. I saw similar critters flying around the yard last weekend, but didn't get a photo yet.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Thanks for your help

Stevie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby hummingbirds??

They are hummingbird moths. Often mistaken for hummingbirds, due to their flying and flittering.

This link will help:
http://www.birds-n-garden.com/hummingbird_moths.html

In it's caterpillar stage it is a hornworm.
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4DMG/Pests/hummingb.htm

o

Thank you for the info. All this time I just assumed it was a baby hummingbird. So, what does a baby hummingbird look like?

Stevie

o

This link was compliments of another GardenWEBber and I was so impressed. Hope you enjoy the 'small' journey this link offers.

Melissa

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummers

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here