Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_n_bernie_wa

Canna In Pond for penny1947

bob_n_bernie_wa
18 years ago

I think it was this spring that I mentioned to Penny that we were able to over winter Canna in our pond because it doesn't freeze solid.

Bernie put this plant in the pond about this time summer before last. It grew well last year and even better this summer. We just cut the tops off after they freeze.

There was no name on it when we bought it but Bernie liked the variegated leaves so she acquired it anyway. This is one plant. The pond level is near the top of the wall. The pot is about the same depth as Bernie's feet. It apparently likes fish fertilizer. We have seen Anna's and Rufous females at the flowers.

{{gwi:535758}}

{{gwi:535760}}

Comments (6)

• standard65
    18 years ago

wow. wow. wow. and I thought my cannas were tall. wait til penny, jp, and stephen see this. nice job!

• nalono
    18 years ago

Bob

That is a beautiful shot. I believe the name of that canna is Stuttgart. The flowers look right also, kind of orange. It is one beautiful canna.

jp

• Bonbon_N_KS
    18 years ago

I'll 2nd the canna, Stuttgart, nalono. I NEED one of those for next year. Just tremendous Bob & Bernie!

• bob_n_bernie_wa
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you for your comments and the ID. We did a search and believe that it is a Stuttgart. The commentary states that Stuttgart could have problems with leaf burn, we have some. Bernie said that it was worst last year. They say it will grow 6-8 ft. This one is 10. It must like being in the pond.

During the search we read a post from the Canna Forum @ GW. We read that post and a couple others and are going to post the pictures there...BnB

• stephenNJ
    18 years ago

Hey Bernie those are fantabulous shots ! Yes that indeed is Stuttgart which Ive never seen in person .Wow those are nice , thanks for sharing!
    -stephen

• penny1947
    18 years ago

What an AWSOME Canna that is! Boy I sure wish we lived further souther so mine would overwinter.

Penny

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions