Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

Hummercandy

penny1947
18 years ago

Here is my little girl at her morning visit to the candy corn vine. She will sit there for 5 minutes at a time or longer slurping nectar. She doesn't have to waste much energy hovering in front of the flowers she can just perch and slurp. She just moves from one ladder to the next to reach the flowers.

{{gwi:973328}}

Penny

Comments (22)

• Birdlegs
    18 years ago

Ahh, Isn't she special!

• penny1947
    Original Author
    18 years ago

She doesn't let any other hummers near it. She seems to think that is her corner of the yard and all the rest of the hummers better stay at the other end. That is where I have my prize hummer plants.
    Penny

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

That's cute Penny She really likes her vine I am impressed with it too. What size pot is it in? Sarah

• penny1947
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sarah it is in a 10 inch pot but it is a deep pot. It probably needs to be repotted but it has gotten so big I am afraid to do it. Last time I unwound all the trailing stems and then rewound them. It has gotten too big to do that now. I will try and get a picture of the whole plant and pot so you can get an idea and I will post it seperately when I get it uploaded.

Penny

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Wow mine's in a 10 inch pot too and needs to be repotted. Is your's in the sun? I took a picture of mine to compare with yours I just have to upload it. But there's no candy corn and a hummer scolded me for being in her way. Sarah

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Here's my candy corn vine no candycorn and no hummers

{{gwi:973329}}

• penny1947
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sarah,
    Here is a full length picture of mine. You can't see the flowrz from this range but you can get an idea of the pot and the height. The second photo is a closeup of some of the flowrz. It is in shade most of the day with some sun between 4 and 6 in the evening. The trellis beside it is a 6ft. trellis. The top of the candycorn that has spiraled around itself is just over the top of the trellis. I have the pot in a low open work plant stand without the saucer so that it drains well. The pot is about an inch and a half off the ground. I have the same pots that you have with other flowrz so I know that mine is the same size as yours but without the rolled rim.

The pot behind the trellis is an azalea that still hasn't been planted!

Full length shot
    {{gwi:973336}}

Closeup shot of flowrz
    {{gwi:973359}}

Penny

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Your vine looks very robust!Can you repot yours with out removing your trellis or wire ladder? Sarah

• oubliette
    18 years ago

Beautiful shots, Penny!! And the trellis in the pot is a great idea. Can't wait to try that out next year. Sarah, your mini trellis is so cute. Where did you find it?

• penny1947
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The trellis is next to the pot not in it. I have the the Plant growing up a tomato cage that I added wire extensions to and formed them into a dome above the cage. How I will repot it I am not quite sure. I may not do anything to it this late in the season. I may wait until next spring and then turn it on its side and ease the pot away from the Plant

Penny

• standard65
    18 years ago

penny, that's a beautiful plant and and awesome trellis on which the birds may perch. nice job.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Stan just another one of my 'acquired' pieces of 'LAWN ART' er, I mean junk LOL! That extra cage and the roll of wire rabbet fencing came in handy for this one.

Penny

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

penny that's a beautiful tomatoe cage I've only seen them in wire color not green.

Oubliette I bought that down the street at "Albrechts Garden Center" It's really too small for that vine so behind it are three bamboo sticks sort of like a tepee wigwam all squished in one small pot that's probably one of the reasons it won't bloom. Sarah

• penny1947
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sarah! I am laughing all the way to the junk pile LOL! The tomatoe cage was an old rusty aluminum one that someone had thrown out along with 5 more just like it. I spray painted them all to use in the garden and hide the rust. I didn't even sand them down. I just got a can of cheap spray paint and what you see is what you get. The top part where it arches is strips I cut out of a roll of rabbit fencing that someone else threw out. I just crisscrossed the blocked strips over the top of the cage and bent the ends over the top rim to hold them in place.

Penny

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Penny you are truly creative and with that candy corn vine You really have to be the way it grows! Sarah

• penny1947
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you Sarah but it was really a case of mecessity being the mother of invention. I needed something quickly and there was nothing at the store that would accomodate my immediate needs that didn't cost an arm and a leg so I looked in the garage at some of the junk I had acquired to see if I could make a trellis and I spotted a couple of the tomatoe cages that I hadn't used yet and the idea was born.Now I am trying to come up with a way to attach a spiral curly Q to the very top so that the end of the vine won't just stand straight up like Alfalfa's hair.

Penny

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

Like a sort of topiary? Sarah

• penny1947
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Sarah,
    Yes in a way it is like a topiary. That is more or less what came to mind as I started to add pieces to it. Now I wish I had done it more like a three or four tiered topiary.....maybe next time.

Penny

• sarahbn
    18 years ago

It sort of looks like a topiary already Sarah

• stephenNJ
    18 years ago

Wow you guys have some nice looking Candy-Corns and I love your trelice ideas!
    I will have to try it next year as climbing hummer annuals are so darn fun!
    great shots!
    -stephen

• flowerpowereverett
    18 years ago

Great shots! Very clever idea for staking the cc's also! Thanks for posting. Ruth

• penny1947
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Starh, I think of it as an oversized green ice cream cone LOL! I may try a cutting or two and see if I can get another started for next year.

Stephen,
    I just lucked up on this plant at our local spring garden show. I have never seen any of the local nurseries carry it and the vendor who was selling them only had about a half dozen in tiny 2 inch pots. Mine had 3 tiny little stems on it with a couple of blooms. Most people were passing it by probably b/c it was so small. I recognized it right away but I had no idea it would get so big. Unfortunately they don't make seed or I would have lots to share.

Ruth,
    I was running out of places to put tis baby and I knew I was going to have to bring it inside for the winter so the cage seemed like a good solution. The hummers have enjoyed perching on it too so that was a bonus.

Penny

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions