Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pushing the limits.

Posted by ponyexpress_1 6a Lancaster NY (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 7:37

Hi There. I was wondering if anyone has had luck growing hummingbird plants in zones colder than suggested. I'm in zone six, western New York, great lakes area. So many beautiful hummingbird plants are just out of my zone in 7. I was wondering if anyone has pushed the zone limits and succeeded. Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pushing the limits.

Sue,
I'm in Florida but when I was in zone 5b in Ohio (before the new USDA zone map) which is now 6a, I had great luck with Bee Balm, columbine (for the earlier arrivals), trumpet vine (gets very big and shouldn't be planted to close to the house), red hot pokers, catmint, butterfly bushes and anise hyssop which are all perennials. They also loved my 6 foot tall hollyhocks which reseeded profusely.
Rhonda

o

Duplicate post

This post was edited by rvird01 on Tue, Jan 7, 14 at 20:47

o

There are microclimates in a yard, places where there's that bit of shelter that can grow a more tender plant. If you're in or near a city, you might be a few degrees warmer.

You need to think about the plants aversion to wetness in winter. Often it's winter wet that's the killer.

You just have to try things out, see what works.

For example, against a house or other wall, especially if on the south side is often warm enough to support a zone-more-tender plant. A bushel of leaves around the crown will also help. Sometimes if you take extra trouble-- eg wrapping the plant, or building a wire structure around it to fill with leaves for insulation.

However, you can make it thru one winter and lose it the next.

My own preference is to stick to hardy plants. Trying to force a plant to live in conditions that aren't favorable is just a lot of work and frustration. There are a lot of beautiful hummingbird plants hardy in zone 6.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here