Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quicksilver_gw

PBS Nature

quicksilver
14 years ago

Humingbirds: Magic in the air. This PBS TV program will be broadcast in New England tonight at 8pm.

Comments (15)

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Yes it will be offered in my area sunday night at 8pm. Already have it set to tape [DVR] since I will most likely be watching playoffs at that time.

• bdriver71
    14 years ago

Glad I checked in here. I can't wait to see this tomorrow
    night. A hour of hummers in warm weather will be great! 11
    tonight and windy. Thanks for posting the info.

• peggiewho
    14 years ago

Thank you, can't wait. I have 3 feeders up year round. I think I get a migration. I hardly saw an adult this summer but had loads of babies. Then I had only a few birds followed by adults. So now I have several adult male Anna's hummingbirds. I want to know more about these guys.

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

I saw it last night and was so fascinated by the Spatuletail hummer in Peru. Absolutely gorgeous!

Also fascinating was the Rufous hummer's mating dive; the little ground feeding hummer (most hummers do not use their feet to walk around), and the hummer that locates its nest among the Cooper's hawk's nesting area (because it consumes predators of the hummingbird, but not the hummingbird itself).

Also interesting was how a hummer catches insects (like fruit flies) by opening its beak wide and catching them in the base of its beak or its throat, rather than in the upper part of the beak as many had originally thought.

Would love to see it again!

Susan

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

Thanks Quicksilver for the heads up. I never would have seen it and it was definately worth seeing! Photography was outstanding. Cameras inside flower buds, high speed video, beautiful scenery and many different kinds of hummers just a few of the highlights.

For those that missed it I know it is on a good handful of times in the next month, actually it is on right now as I write this!

Times listed for my cable company's pbs's are:

Monday 1/11 at 10:00am, 4:00pm, 6:00 pm, and 9:00pm
    Tuesday 1/12 1:00am, 2:00am, 8:00pm
    Saturday 1/16 6:00pm
    Sunday 1/17 8:00?m
    1/23 8:00?m, 6:00pm

They even offered a DVD of the show at the end for $19.99, unfortunately the number went by before I could write it down,. :c( I'll know it by the end of the hour. Let me know if you want me to post it.

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

Okay... good news!

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episodes/hummingbirds-magic-in-the-air/introduction/5424/

Not only can you see a preview and other videos, but you can click "schedule" slong the top, put in your zip code, select your provider, and find all the pbs channels and times that the show is going to air for you!

For us of here on this forum this is a show you should not miss!

Here is a link that might be useful: PBS Link

• mimidi
    14 years ago

You can see the program here on PBS videos at anytime. The entire show.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Magic

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Im certainly glad I taped this as it is only being shown one more time on my PBS tues 5am. So everyone needs to check their guides as it will be different. Also in checking ahead I notice next sunday at 8 will be

bears vs wolves

I will want to see that one also.

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link mimidi! Nice to be able to watch it online. Be sure to click the link I provided above as there is a long online only video on the making of the special.

You're right Steve, It seems that the 16th might be the last day for the Hummer special.

• mimidi
    14 years ago

Eighed I did and I also sent the link along with the other one to hummingbird friends who do visit the forums.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Oh, (expletive deleted)!!! I missed it! Thanks for the future schedule listing, I'll watch it next time on PBS. I really want to see this.

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

Rob... Saturday might have be the last night for the show. A new show is on Sunday night.

Good news is that in mimidi's first post in this thread she posted a link to watch it online in its entirety.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

mimidi

Thanks so much for posting this link to the showing of this in HD. I do have this taped but I dont have HD so this is a very special treat and so much better.

Steve

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Thanks, Mimi and Eigdeh. Just watched it online. Incredible! The slow motion was amazing.

• mimidi
    14 years ago

You are welcome.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner
More Discussions