Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Indiana State Record Calliope!!

Posted by hummersteve 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 14, 12 at 16:00

Pretty amazing stuff for our state. The first ever calliope and it was officiated by a bander to be such. So on January 5th I made the 1 hour 20min trip to north vernon indiana to get some shots. Im not a professional but at least I have some .

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Indiana State Record Calliope!!

Is it a female or an immature? Did the bander catch and band it?

What is the black on the feeder? Something to keep it from freezing?

o

Yes female and that is some kind of heat tape or cable around that feeder. The Jacksons had two feeders out the other feeder had a heat lamp on it to keep it warm but the bird never went to it while I was there. The bird would go to a large pear tree in the backyard then to the feeder every 20 minutes. It was a fun time something I had never had part of before. Im adding an in depth article for anyone interested.

heres a shot of it in the pear tree
Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: indiana state record calliope

o

hi steve, that is so cool;nice pics;fyi; some one northwest of me had a hummer till jan.6 ; they even had it on our local news. pete

o

Pete

Thanks, yeah it takes a keen eye or an experienced bander to notice the difference in this area that it is not a rubythroat. Being female it is very similar to the rubythroat female but it is smaller than a RT. But the fact this bird has been staying at the jacksons since august says something right off the bat. Im glad I took the time to go down to north vernon, maybe a once in a lifetime event.

Steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here