Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Hummer migration video!

hummersteve
12 years ago

I was very fortunate this past summer having the most hummers ever in my yard. There were many days I had between 30-40 hummers during august. This quote is not only from me but others who have visited my yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: hummer migration

Comments (5)

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

Wow! That was impressive! Seeing a hummingbird never ceases to impress me. Great vid!

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ladyrose65

Thanks yes I sometimes look at it just to remember what they sound like and did I really have that many and the vid verifies it. It is fun.

Steve

• christy2828
    12 years ago

Hummersteve, where did you get that three tier feeder? Is it three glued together? I love the video, I've always been jealous of your hummers. We started on GW around the same time, and I got hummers then but not many, I was in Maryland. Then I moved to Miami and had them for 2 years in the winter, for about 5 months of the year. Here in NC, I get a lot!!!! I've seen as many as 8 at a time, and anticipate more this year. I didn't get here until July and my feeders went out in August. I have a feeder set at my most viewable windows and see them all day long!! Until they left, that is :) There are no flowers at all around this house, but I put in quite a few and they should start getting going I hope this summer. Can't wait :) Christy

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Christy
    Its nice to hear from you again. You do move around dont you, just kidding.

The three-tier feeder is made by first nature and you can find them at lowes. I first saw them last year in march at lowes for $12 but now are down to $9.98. I grabbed a set for the novelty of it. They are not glued together but fit together if you want to use them that way or as a double or singly. They have a different kind of port though as they are slotted rather than round. I didnt even hang mine till it was time for migration in late july, didnt really see the need. Some people have said the feeders created quite a bee problem for them but I didnt experience that here. As you can see from the vid the hummers flocked to the triple feeder with as many as 9-10 on the setup at a time. Im loading a couple of shots of the feeder so you can get a better idea.

here you can see where the feeders can interlock together if you choose to use them that way they each have a small ant well if you use them individual.

{{gwi:974617}}

here you can see the slits for ports as I mentioned

{{gwi:974619}}

• christy2828
    12 years ago

Ah, nice!!! We actually have a Lowe's here in our small town and they are just getting the bird stuff in now. Yes, we do move a lot :) My husband is in the Coast Guard and that is just the way life is!!! It's nice to finally be somewhere with an abundance of hummingbirds, I really enjoy them :) Thanks for sharing that feeder with me!!! Lol, I do have 7 of them, but there is always room for one more, right? Christy :)

Sponsored
More Discussions