Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfanatic2003

Lady in Red salvia??

gardenfanatic2003
15 years ago

Hello,

I got some Lady in Red salvia seed for my butterfly garden, and I'm hoping it might be popular with the hummingbirds as well. What's been everyone's experience with it? Thanks,

Deanna

Comments (15)

• ctnchpr
    15 years ago

Deanna, 'Lady in Red' is a great hummer plant!!

This juvie male was guarding "his" LIR:

• mimidi
    15 years ago

Great hummingbird plant.

• tumblingtomatoes
    15 years ago

picture is adorable! I think I'm planting some!

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

A very good staple for hummers.

• stimpy926
    15 years ago

I grow it, it re-seeds every year, and it lasts from summer to hard frost. Dead heading will also help prolong it. Like it a lot.

• ladybug6a
    15 years ago

what a beautyful pic of the hummingbird. Is lady in red the same as Yvonne salvia? I would trade some of my seeds for the lady in red.
    ladybug6a

• jovy1097
    15 years ago

Lady in Red salvia was one of the favorite plants of hummingbirds in my yard. Reseeds itself in my yard too. After it finishes blooming, cut it back by about half and it will usually grow back and bloom again.

• ctnchpr
    15 years ago

Thanks, tt & ladybug!!

ladybug, they're different plants. I have some Salvia coccinea 'Lady in Red' seeds if you want 'em. E-mail your mailing address.

• ladybug6a
    15 years ago

Thank you so much ctnchpr for your kind offer.
    I send you an e-mail.

Karin

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

Lady in red plants wont survive my winters but I have had reseeders popup in different spots in my garden. Being a hummer favorite may be a good candidate for collecting seed for wintersowing outside in containers.

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

I missed the spring planting, but I just bought a 4-pack of Lady in Red salvias to try out. I was going to transplant a few of them into the garden, but I'm not so sure now. I moved one into a small pot(the only plant with active bloom spikes). Of course, after growing in a tiny little container in a greenhouse for a few months, it is a somewhat skinny root-bound plant. I loosened up the roots before filling in the pot with a good commercial soil. The problem I'm getting is the plant is struggling when it gets even a little of the hot summer sun(this was the case before transplant as well). I've been watering it regularly and the soil has remained moist. This morning the leaves and blooms were getting wilty after only one hour of direct sun. When I moved it to the shade and gave it a bit more water it quickly perked up. The last few hours I've put the flower in a mostly shaded area under a tree that just gets a few peeks of sun. I just went out to check and several blooms that looked healthy this morning had fallen out. Just touching or breathing on the blooms caused most of the others to fall out... although the leaves were fine. I certainly can't transplant the other three flowers into the sunny garden if they are just going to wilt and die. I'm going to add some miracle grow to the pot and transplant the other three flowers to a large pot. A couple questions: Should I expect my salvias to better tolerate the hot sun once the roots are able to grow out in the new pots? They are never going to be as healthy as they'd be if I started them with properly spaced seeds, but, considering they are supposed to be full to partial sun flowers, I'd like to be able to get them some sun. Also, are the blooms supposed to be so fragile? How long are individual blooms supposed to last before they fall out? Thanks.

• hawkeye_wx
    14 years ago

I just discovered there is a salvia sub-forum so I think I'll copy my post there.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Wow that juvie sure a determined look on his face.

• chrsvic
    14 years ago

I would plant the salvias in the ground, even if it is hot and sunny. They seem to love heat and moisture. It is stressful for plants to be in containers, unless you can keep a really close eye on them.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

I agree with chrs, Plant them in the ground. I have a variety of Salvias in pots on a balcony. They are all heat stressed in spite of daily watering, and aren't blooming well now. My only blooms from potted Salvia are the B&B. Even my Coral Honeysuckle has given up.

Sponsored
More Discussions