Here is a link that might be useful: Turn your speakers on

Comments (17)

• Ann
    15 years ago

I can't get it to play!!

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

catlady, It takes a little while to load, especially if you're on dial-up. Give it a minute or two.

• mboston_gw
    15 years ago

Cool! How close was the video camera?

• nckvilledudes
    15 years ago

That was super cool!!! Great video!!

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, folks!! mboston, he was about 3" from the lens.

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

ctnchpr--- Took me back a few months had almost forgotten that magical sound,, thanks.

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

ctnchpr--- Could that possibly be katydids I hear in the background making all that annoying noise.

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hummersteve, That's the sound of hundreds (maybe thousands) of annual cicadas. I love their songs!!

Here is a link that might be useful: They're even louder in this one

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

ctnchpr--- I think I was confused on the sounds of the katydid and the 17year cicada. After listening I believe it is the cicada I meant that we get in indy and not the katydid.

• jewelweed99
    14 years ago

Fantastic video!

• barbzeee
    14 years ago

I have to tell you .. I am so amazed at your video...and I checked out the others as well..You must be in 7th heaven when the flock shows up...I'd be having a huge pot of coffee and put a sign out...Gone dreaming...cause I'd have to watch all those feeders in action...

Ok, fess up..How much nectar to you make at one time...I can only imagine the size of the sugar bag that is carried or should I say .."wheeled in"...

Awesome..just awesome !

God Bless
    BarbZeee

• nanaboo
    14 years ago

Awesome! He was a thirsty dude!

Nanaboo

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, folks! I'm glad y'all enjoyed the video.

Barbzeee,
    In late Summer, after the second batch of babies has started using the feeders, they use about a gallon/day. The sugar usage usually runs about 130lbs/year. There are 11 feeders out now, scattered around the house and out in the edge of the woods, for about 10-12 birds. They seem to fight less if each one has its own feeder. After all the females have arrived and started nesting, I'll start gradually moving the feeders closer to the house, until there's a clump of feeders in one spot (usually the deck), with 2 or 3 at other spots around the house. There are always 2 or 3 bully males which refuse to get along, and that arrangement helps keep them separated from the main group.

• barbzeee
    14 years ago

Ctnchpr, God Bless ! You are truly the keeper of the Humming birds..and they sure do appreciate it... Gosh..you know you could give tours..in fact seminars on keeping and feeding.. Like I said, "I'd be lost in a world of dreaming "..just watching all those gems enjoy their sanctuary. A true humming bird paradise..

I so enjoy this forum and all that I'm learning...hmmmm who ever said "ya can't teach and ole dawg new tricks" HA !....

Thanks so much... I told ya... " Sugar Wheeled in " LOL

God Bless

BarbZeee

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

barbzeee,
    Thanks for those kind words. There is something narcotic about watching them, I have to force myself out of my chair to do chores. I make the videos to have a 'fix' in the barren Winter months.

Here is one of my favorites -

Here is a link that might be useful: Three males sharing

• tami58
    14 years ago

Holy Cow! How awesome is that!! When I grow up I want to be just like you!! Very impressive!

• tami58
    14 years ago

Just wondering if you have gardens with flowers that help support the hummers or if you rely totally on your feeders? If you do have flowers, what do you find that they like the best?

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm
More Discussions