Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Incredible Hummingbird Phenomena

I had the most incredible thing happen in my yard last evening. I have lots of Annas in my yard (maybe 10 to 15 at any given time) as I've got tons of great plants for them here (many sages, penstemons, native California plants, etc.), plus several feeders. And, the Annas stay all year round. Or so I thought. Around 4:00 pm yesterday, I looked out my kitchen window, where I have 2 hummingbird feeders and an oriole feeder, plus 2 more feeders on the other side of my walkway, by our two-tier pond. So, lots of feeders. All around the feeder closest to the window (and very interestingly, the first feeder I ever hung), were about 50 hummingbirds. I looked past the feeder, and there had to be at least another 50 or so, buzzing all around, waiting to get at this feeder. There were so many hummers, they were sitting 2 to 3 on a perch, trading off using the little feeding flower port! Males sitting with males, many males at the feeder together. It looked a little like a swarm of gigantic green bumble bees! Some would venture over to other feeders, but they ALL wanted this one feeder. I hung this feeder in the fall of 2009, and it was the only feeder up for about maybe 4 to 6 months. I am wondering if these are all progeny of my original hummers that fall, and that they all went somewhere south, and are now returning!?! And their parents have communicated about THIS feeder?? I have never, ever seen anything like this! This evening, I still had quite a few, but not the 100+ I had yesterday evening. At least, not all at once! Anyone familiar with the migratory habits of Anna's? It was a sight to see!

Patty S.

Comments (10)

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

We don't have Annas here but just wanted to say I'm jealous. I can't imagine! You need to keep a video camera handy.

• bettyjean-2008
    12 years ago

I live in southern Illinois and have had bunches of hummers at one feeder with others waiting to feed on that feeder, not hundreds tho, but maybe 10 or 12 just in the same manner you mentioned, this happened in the fall, I guess they were getting ready to migrate, they seem to know that they all need enough energy to get where they are going.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Betty, I think what I see is the exact opposite of what I see :-) You see them going, and then I see some of my Anna's coming back from Central America. Many of my Anna's stay all year 'round here, because we have very warm summers, but still I think some of them do migrate further south. And, in the spring at this time is when I also see Rufous and Black-Chinned in the mix. It was amazing. I'm going to buy a camcorder so I can film it next spring!

Patty S.

• seafire1
    12 years ago

Maybe your cell phone takes video?

Original Author
    12 years ago

I do seafire, but 3 minutes and hand-held cell phone just didn't do a very good job. I think I need to be ready to set up a camcorder on a tripod, and then work it remotely, so I don't scare them away. I should be able to stand right inside my kitchen door, and then operate the camera. At least, that's my plan for next spring!

Patty S.

• bettyjean-2008
    12 years ago

hoosierquilt, you are so lucky to have them all year.

Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes we are :-) Anna's, Rufuous, Costa's, Broadbilled and Allen's are all seen pretty regularly in our area, and pretty much all year 'round. Our #1 hummer is the Anna, followed by the Costa, and they are both here all the time. I have 5 feeders up on my side yard, as well as many plants that support them as well. Pretty busy hummer place, here, lol!

Patty S.

• dreamgarden
    12 years ago

PLEASE post a pic of this special feeder!

• zzackey
    12 years ago

Wow! We only have two birds. I'd love to see that many! They really love the new feeders we bought at Ace hardware. They have huge red flowers and yellow bee guards. Is this feeder of yours alot different in some way than the others? Maybe it is closer to a tree or some place they feel safer?

Original Author
    12 years ago

No, actually. It's just a plain old jar feeder with 3 red flowers that have white perches. And yellow centers (best to avoid anything yellow on your feeders if possible, as this is what attracts bees and wasps). I just think it had to do with this feeder being the FIRST feeder I put up. I have 4 other feeders within a 25 foot radius of this one feeder. None of these migratory hummers were particularly interested in any of those. They did occasionally check them out, but it was this one silly feeder they all tried to get to, 2 and 3 to a little perch, with several hovering over each perch. It was pretty crazy. I will definitely get a video camera and get it set up on a tripod, and stand inside my slider door with a remote control to film this in January of next year. I'm sure I'll see something similar. I'll post a link to the video on You Tube if I can get good footage.

Patty S.

Sponsored
More Discussions