Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pogonip_gw

Having trouble attracting hummers to my 3rd story window

pogonip
15 years ago

Hi,

I recently bought a glass hummingbird feeder that is shaped somewhat like an upside-down cone with the feeding tube on top. I placed it outside my window, which is on the second story of my building (though closer to three stories from the ground outside, as we have a dug-out garage area immediately beneath my window(, and even though the glass is an emerald green and the feeder opening is red, I attached some colorful fake flowers to it to attract the birds. So far, I haven't seen any, which is discouraging. I bought some bright red and yellow bows (like, for gift-wrapping) and am hoping they will draw more attention.

My concern is that the feeder is too high for the hummingbirds to find it/want to go to it. There are tall trees around, but the feeder itself doesn't protrude very far from the window. I live in Berkeley, California and haven't seen many (or any) hummingbirds around, though I live at the base of the hills and it is very green around here. Is it because it's winter? What am I doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Comments (4)