Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
norma_2006

Introduction

norma_2006
14 years ago

I need to introduce myself, I'm Norma Lewis, I love the Hummingbird as well, so does my cat, we watch them every morning, she is not allowed to go out.

I grow plants, the birds here in Calif. love the old bottlebrush tree that I had. But now I grow other plants for them. They come year round and come up close to my face as if they are asking for food and water. If I can be of any help providing you with seeds, give me a list, and I'll ask my neighbors to help me out. We do grow some plants that you all do as well, I hope I am welcome here I don't mean to butt into a private group of old friends, Norma Lewis Crasulady2@dslextreme.com

Comments (9)

• kal2002
    14 years ago

Hi Norma,

Welcome to the forum. I am fairly new here too. I live in northern California. I have hummingbirds in my backyard in the summer. They used to hang around in the winter too when frost did not hit so early in the season. Because frost came early December last year, it killed all the flowers on the salvias. The camellias got new blooms but not enough to keep them around. I am trying to grow more plants for them in the winter months when nothing seems to be blooming. What plants do you grow for the hummingbirds?

• ctnchpr
    14 years ago

Hi Norma,

Welcome to the group!! Please don't feel that you're butting in, we love new members!

The activity on this forum is slow at this time of the year, most of us in the East won't have our hummers for a long time. I usually see my first one here in Tennessee around April 5.

And we LOVE photos!!! Please post pics of your hummers and plants.

This little bad boy says "Hey"...

• mboston_gw
    14 years ago

What kind of hummer is that,ctnchpr? I am fairly new to "humming", have been butterflying for many years. Just last year, I had my first overwintering hummer and a few other sightings in the winter. Ocassionally, another would come through in the summer, and again in the fall. Right now I have 4 that I can safely say hang around on a daily basis. Three are Rubys and one Rufous. I am in Central Florida where we lost all of our plants recently to a record long cold spell. Poor birds have nothing but the feeders right now.

I am part of a group who has their birds banded for a study being done to see where our wintering birds go in the summer and to see if we have year round residents. Seems as though our birds here do not go directly north to the Carolinas as expected since none of the banded birds have been recaught up there. Interesting work being done on these little ones.

Would love to share pictures and ideas for plants. Many of my butterfly plants are good hummer plants too but always looking for new ideas, esp. since I will be replanting very soon.

Thanks for welcoming new people.

Mary

• ctnchpr
    14 years ago

Mary,

It's a male Ruby-throated. It was overcast when the photo was taken, so it dosen't have the flash of bright red.

• coolaces
    14 years ago

WELCOME NORMA; anything to do with hummers and you wil see it here, or just put up a question,u always get a response lol; i'm just south of chicago. i envy u with hummers all year round, late april is when i usually seee my first 1

• norma_2006
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Where do they nest, I haven't been able to spot the nest yet. I have orange trees, bird houses, apple,lemon, tangerine trees, I love watching them, my last one had ad ruby head and a very bringht red throat, green body, I grow haworthia, raised on a bench, haworthia, and lost of Aloe, they don't seem to be afriad to go down to eat. I grow succultents so they do have food in the Winter months, they are sure gutsy.
    Glad to have met this group. Norma

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Welcome to the forum Norma and Mary.

There is a wealth of information here, and lots of help for you. At the top of the page is a search window that works great, if you want to research topics of interest to you in previous posts here. And of course ask questions. I do.

Early March starts the hummer season on the gulf coast. I will be putting my feeders out first week of March. Only two weeks away. Hopefully, the cold weather will be gone by then.

• love_savannah
    14 years ago

Hello, Norma, and a warm welcome to you. I'm also kind of new around here. Usually, I'm skipping around between the Pond, Butterfly and Citrus forums.

I so envy all of you who get to enjoy your hummingbirds and butterflies all year. It's almost time for our hummers to arrive and the feeders are out of storage and ready to fill. Believe it or not, we're getting snow tonight in Savannah, Ga. HURRY SPRING!!!

Again, welcome Norma. I know that you will enjoy the Gardenweb. I've learned some amazing things here. Also, visiting here has motivated me to try growing new and different things in my garden. That's always a good thing.

I've been trying to get a good picture of a hummingbird for several years now. Maybe this year...

{{gwi:975411}}

• mboston_gw
    14 years ago

The bander who came to my house had banded in Savannah just before here, I think. If you would like to contact her, she might be interested in banding in your yard. Just contact me through my page .

Sponsored
More Discussions