Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnbrdnrd

3 Male RT's sharing a feeder - sorta'

ctnchpr
16 years ago

This was taken early one morning last summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: 30 second video

Comments (21)

• janellelee
    16 years ago

Thank you so much Where are you that you have so many hummingbirds?
    This video just made my day!
    Jan

• ltlhbgrl
    16 years ago

I love it!! I had to watch it over and over! I miss my birds and can't wait for them to come back. Thanks for sharing!!

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks!! I'm glad y'all enjoyed it.

janellelee, I live in western Tennessee. My 'regulars' should start arriving in about six weeks. I'm already getting excited!!!

ltlhbgrl, you may already know this, but in case you don't, you can view an almost full screen of the video by clicking on the 'full size' under the '59' in the upper left hand corner, and then clicking on the 'maximize' square next to the red 'X' in the photobucket window.

• User
    16 years ago

ctnchpr: I loved that video. My mouth is watering to get hummers.
    This AM here in Mi it was 7 degrees. This PM it was 36 and supposed
    to be in the 40s tommorow. We have a cold wave due next week then its supposed to hit the 50s!!! Come on Spring!!!!!!!!! We cant wait much
    longer!!! lol Got more feeders including window feeders. Now that
    my neighbors are interesed in Hummers there were be a gazillion
    feeders in the neighbors.. all for 3-5 Hummers we had last year. Last yr we all took turns bragging over the ones we saw that day...
    others of us pouted over not seeing them for days lol If I get one ill be happy :) Send 'em up please :)

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

alii, I'm glad you liked the video! My hummers usually start arriving during the 1st week of April, give or take a few days, so I'm beginning to get a little excited. I bought some milk today which had an expiration date of Mar 3, and it thrilled me to know that March is that close. Rays of hope come from strange places when you're desperate. :-)

• ltlhbgrl
    16 years ago

ctnchpr, thanks for the full screen info! I didn't know that, and will definitely need to check it out. It's sure nice to know that there are others out there who love the little critters as much as I do. We have a family of Flycatchers that come back to nest in the same spot on our front porch every year. Once they arrive, I know spring is here and my hummingbirds will soon follow!!

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ltlhbgrl, is your flycatcher an Eastern Phoebe?

To answer your question from the 'Florida Hummer' thread, I used a little 4MP Canon A85 'point & shoot' camera - nothing fancy. I mounted it on a tripod about 6-8 inches from the feeder.

• ltlhbgrl
    16 years ago

It sure is! As soon as I hear that peweep, pewoo, I know it's spring. They had a rough year last year...lost the first 2 nests full of babies, but were successful on the 3rd. I really hope they come back this year. I'm a bit worried.

It must be the photographer rather than the camera in this case, huh?! :) I always try to hand hold, and with such fast little guys, that doesn't work so well. I'll have to get a bit more determined this year. Thanks for the info!

• mimidi
    16 years ago

Ctnchpr how about sharing this video with the hummingbird lovers on this site. The members will really ejoy seeing it. I know I did.

I can't wait for them to return. I should be seeing one the first of March.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Forum

• blossom_in_the_sun
    16 years ago

thank you for posting this. I love to hear them buzzing.

• cheema
    16 years ago

What a great video!! When I watched I couldn't believe how many birds were in it. I've never seen anything like it before. I'm so envious. I usually have maybe three at most and they are always fighting over territory no matter how many feeders I put out! I'm new to this site and wonder if there is something I can do about that?

• ltlhbgrl
    16 years ago

Cheema, everything I've ever read says to keep the feeders further from each other and they won't be so territorial. I've also read that if you have a bunch of birds around at one time, they are fight less because there are just too many. But...I usually have my feeders pretty close together, just because I want the birds close to me! We did have over 20 (nothing like ctnchpr's video, though) at one time last year buzzing them all. LOVED it!!!

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ltlhbgrl,

Here's another video for ya.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Swarm

• ltlhbgrl
    16 years ago

THANKS!!!! I miss that chatter and the "get off my food" fighter pilot moves!! I can not wait until they come home for the summer! (I think I glimpsed my Phoebe this weekend...But, I haven't seen/heard her since. She may have headed back south for a couple of weeks until it warms up!)

• dragonflymom03
    16 years ago

Wow love the videos!!!! How lucky you are to have so many at a time. Hopefully I will have more this year we think that they are nesting in the trees and honeysuckle on edge of our yard. In 2005 we only had a couple here found them by mistake. We were getting ready for our back yard wedding. The men were taking a break I saw a hummer fly to an orange cord it was wanting food. Two hours later that poor baby had a feeder to go to. They thank us by being at the feeder was we were married 3 feet away from us. Since there has been more and more very year I feel so blessed by them every year.

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

ctnchpr--- according to the hummingbird.net map it looks like the hummers are nearly ready to enter tenn. maybe you will have them soon, you lucky dog.

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

dfmom, Thanks!! Your wedding sounds like it was something very special. I've been married for almost 35 years, and wouldn't take a million dollars for one minute of it........now that I think about it, there was that time........ ;-)

hummersteve, I have a feeder out, a fruit fly colony started, and am waiting impatiently.

I have another favorite video from last summer. They are so polite, it looks like they're at a tea party, so I call it...

Here is a link that might be useful: 4 Hummers 4 Tea

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

Yes, it looks like a tea social to me.

• dragonflymom03
    16 years ago

The males here find the feeder that they want and no other males allowed.But the females and babies share. We have rubys here. this year I will have to try the camcorder. Thanks for the idea!

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

Hey Dude--- Dont you have any hummers yet , they appear to be invading tenn.

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hummersteve, The only thing that's visited my feeder is a Downy Woodpecker, a first for me. Been cool & rainy lately...back in the 70's Sunday...maybe then...

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor
More Discussions