Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimidi_gw

Migration Map for 2008

mimidi
16 years ago

The Northward Migration Map for the Ruby-Throated Hummingbird will be posted any day by Lanny Chambers.

Here is where you can find this map.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbirds.Net

Comments (27)

• ltlhbgrl
    16 years ago

I love this site! I check the map every year to see when they are on their way. It's great because Lanny is located in Fenton, MO, which is about 30 minutes from me. I got my feeders up earlier than usual last year, thanks to this map, and had the best hummingbird year yet! The site also has tons of other interesting information about our little friends.

• mimidi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The map for 2008 has been posted by Lanny Chambers.

Check it out.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2008 Migration Map

• cheema
    16 years ago

Great site! Thank you for sharing. What an exciting time of year, the beginning of spring.

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

A long way to go until they get up here to Long Island, NY but I have my feeders ready to put out when I see that they are getting close.

• mimidi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I saw my first hummingbird of the season today. Both DH and I were so excited.

• User
    16 years ago

It was 55 degrees yesterday I was soo wanting to put out the HB
    feeders lol . Today it was 32 . I know I know its too early but
    I just cant wait !! :)

• mimidi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Go on and hang those feeders. It will make you feel better.

I have just seen my frist feeder fight this morning. I know there are thre male rubies here. I need to pay more attention.

• ctnchpr
    16 years ago

bump

• flwrs4ever
    16 years ago

comparing last year, and this year.........looks like the hummers are earlier then last...I think I will be putting out my feeder about a week earlier, and see what happens.

• mimidi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know I am having more not than I usually do at this time of year. I saw my first female yesterday.

• cookiepa
    16 years ago

I'm in SE Pa and I referred to last years map also.I usually wait a little longer than this. I'm going to put out my feeder when I come home from work today. I just made the sugar water. I'm excited.
    mimidi...you're right, it will definitely make me feel better! I just might be surprised.

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

I normally don't see mine until early May, even though they show up in SNJ around this time. I'm having a hard time believing they're here in southern NJ already, and it's supposed to be a chilly weekend to boot. I may have to give in and put my feeder out anyway, you know, the just in case scenario, wishful thinking, etc ;)

• mindysuewho
    16 years ago

I am also in South Jersey. I have never seen a hummingbird in my yard until my azaleas and bleeding heart start to bloom-mid to late April. Unless I put up a feeder, there would be no natural food in my yard that early.

• tracey_nj6
    16 years ago

Well, I put my feeders out anyway. Not a thing blooming, well, except for my godawful forsynthia, oh, and the spring bulbs. I've seen lots of gnatty type bugs fluttering around, so I guess that's what they dine on, until the plants are ready. If even a stray passes by, and has a bit of sugar water, it's worth it...

• ltlhbgrl
    16 years ago

They are finally in Missouri!! Lots of feeders will be filled and hung on the deck with care this weekend! It's been so wet and dreary these last weeks, I'm ready for the "sun" and smiles these little guys bring with them. Just can't wait to see my first one of the year!!!

• donnas_gw
    16 years ago

Can someone tell me what "bump" means when it is used in a message by itself? Do you just type the word in the message box? I've seen this several times and have always wondered about it. I've heard it is to move the message to the top or something like that. Please explain. Sorry for not knowing :(

• mimidi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It "bumps" the post back to the top of the page.

• lucygreenthumb
    16 years ago

Go ahead and put those feeders out! If the weather gets iffy your hummers may depend upon it.

This map is a wonderful thing, but the truth is it only shows hummers that have been spotted. There may very well be birds around that haven't been seen yet OR seen but not reported.

Lanny Chambers does a great job with that website!

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

I just looked at the map and see green dots near me, one in NJ and two in MASS. I put out my feeder this morning. Never hurts to be early. There is nothing here for them as not even the blueberries are blooming. Some years I have seen them on the blueberries. I have not even bought my impatients yet as I always put lots of them around the yard. The only things blooming are the daffodil bulbs, the Forsycthia and my Nanking Cherry Shrubs. Not sure that any of those would be interesting to a hummer.

• dee_can1
    16 years ago

They seem to be really early this year. Last year they were in MA 4/24; this year they are there 4/10. Usually where I live in NS (Canada), they arrive 5/04 (at 4:15pm ; ) ), but I'll get my feeders out next week.

Oh, I bought a couple of ants moats, finally; and I bought a mister. Hopefully the mister will be popular - any thoughts on that?

• bluebirdman12
    16 years ago

But doesn't this seem soooo suspicious? I mean, i live here in norheastern Ohio and there are about 6 or more reports in Ohio and i havent seen one!!! But i did just put my feeders out yesterday. This week it's gonna be in the 60's here!!!

• lucygreenthumb
    16 years ago

No Bluebirdman, it's not suspicious. Although I can understand why you'd feel that way.

The first wave of birds isn't as large as later groups. I may see a bird in early/mid April but I don't see alot until May or June.

Since the little guys seem to follow the same routes - people who have fed for years or who have plants which have fed the birds for years will probably see them first.

They're tiny little birds - so they're easy to miss. I lived near the local campus for 10 years and NEVER saw a hummingbird. I moved SIX BLOCKS eight years ago and because two of my neighbors had been feeding them for years I enjoy hummers all summer long.

Be patient, if you put out food or flowers - they'll eventually find them. Good luck!

• yardenman
    16 years ago

Bluebirdman - I too sometimes wonder about all those early sightings. In some years, I put out feeders the first day any are reported just south of me. But I NEVER see one for at least another month. And I've had regular visitors for 15 years (convinced some are the same ones from the previous year or 2).

I believe the reports are honest. But it just doesn't seem to me they can survive the frosty nights we have after the first are reported. I worry about those early hummers. I fear most of them perish from cold. :(

• fernzilla
    16 years ago

Last yeat I had more Hummers then I had ever seen before. I can't remember when i put out my feeders, but had to add two additional feeder due to all the fights and activity. I almost forgot about them this year until a friend mentioned ,that she had put hers out. I put them up about two weeks ago around April 1rst. I hope I am not to late. i have only seen a couple, not like the dozens that were here last year. I live in Memphis

• bluebirdman12
    16 years ago

none yet!

• dee_can1
    16 years ago

I see a hummingbird sighting in NS on Apr. 23. Oh dear, they usually come on May 4. So, I put my feeder out this morning; but we're getting cold temps overnight still (-2C last night). Will they be OK?

• dee_can1
    16 years ago

I did some searching on the internet, and in case anyone's curious - lol, the hummingbirds we get up here do fine with temporary cold temps as long as food is available. I just know someone is dying to know this info. ; )

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone
More Discussions