Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cardinal flower

Posted by ellix augusta ga (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 12:47

Working around my pond I found that a couple of the old cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis) bloom stalks had fallen over into the pond over the winter. I found well rooted little plants growing all up and down the stalk where the blooms once were. I transplanted them in bog areas around the pond. Next year I will be sure to bend the stalks into the water on purpose to increase my supply even more.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cardinal flower

Cool! I never knew this.

o

That's a great discovery!! I'm going to try it next Winter, too. I guess we can call it 'water layering'?

For any of you hummernuts that want a hummer magnet, this is it. IMO, it's the perfect plant - a native perennial, non-invasive, easy to start from seeds, easily transplanted, long bloom period. And that red could be used to calibrate a spectrometer!! The dormant rosettes survive better if overwintered under water rather than being exposed to the freeze/thaw cycles above ground. These are happy in this small galvanized tub...

Photobucket

o

Amazing. I have tried this flower twice and lost it both times. It really needs a damp spot to grow doesn't it.

o

mimidi, An easy way to grow them is by creating a mini-wetland garden: dig a shallow hole (6" is deep enough), line it with a piece of pond liner or plastic, backfill with soil to within 1" of the surrounding grade, plant, fill with water. This can be incorporated into a larger bed and the edge of the liner can be covered by mulch or stones. Every 2-3 weeks, feed them with 1 gal of dilute Miracle-Gro.

o

Okay...I'm stuck with patio only...no planing in ground allowed. Would I be able to convert this into a watering tray do ya think? (Either clay or plastic...the kind that is designed to go with a pot)? I had several hummers last year out front & out back (not sure I think 2 different families)...would like to give them more than just the birdfeeders to eat from.

Suz

o

Yes, this can be adapted to any watertight container that's at least 5-6" deep.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here