Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkswine

Short flower varieties to attract hummingbirds - Portland, Oregon

pinkswine
14 years ago

I'm planning on purchasing a hummingbird feeder soon. I would like to plant various flowers in my window flower boxes (not very large boxes) to attract them throughout the spring & summer. What are some reasonably short flowers varieties which would best attract them and could be grown in Portland, Oregon? Do hummingbirds like heather plants? Does anyone know when the feeder should be put up and taken down in this part of the US? This is my first time to try to feed hummingbirds so I am new to this subject. Thanks much! Jen

Comments (4)

• adahlberg
    14 years ago

You shoud plant fuchsias! They do very well in planter boxes and grow great in Portland. They spill over the edges and bloom from summer to frost.

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

Check out Sweet Nectar Nursery for ideas. They market plants specifically for butterflies and hummingbirds. They are located in the State of Washington, so they probably have suggestions that will do well in your climate.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Nectar Nursery

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Fuchsias are a great idea but need some shade, especially in the afternoon (morning sun OK). Full sun plants (primarily annuals - these stay short and are best suited to smaller window boxes) include snapdragons, nicotiana, annual salvia, nasturtiums, petunias and calibrachoa (Million Bells).

Yes, hummers will feed from heaths and heathers but these may not be ideal plants for a window box. And I leave my feeders up year round. The PNW is blessed with large populations of Anna's hummingbirds and they are year round residents. If you have room, you might want to consider planting a selection of other hummer attracting plants in your garden. There are flowering trees, shrubs, vines and perennials that will offer food sources and attraction throughout the year.

• christie_sw_mo
    14 years ago

How short? Salvia coccinea is a hummingbird favorite and might be a good choice if your window boxes are on the sunny side of your house. It will grow over a foot tall but it's somewhat airy so it might be nice to have those sticking up where you can see them from inside the house. There's a named cultivar of it called 'Lady in Red' that's very nice. Then you could plant something like annual red verbena in the front part of the window box so you will have something hanging down over the edges. Those both like sun.
    Fuchsia, like someone already suggested is a good choice if it's on a shadier side of your house.
    Hummingbirds like lots of flowers that aren't red but when you're first getting started, the bright red flowers will get their attention and help attract them to your yard.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm
More Discussions