Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coral honeysuckle

Posted by cs7580 zone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 5, 07 at 13:51

When would it be best to start looking for coral honeysuckle to buy? Can I find it at Low's or Walmart? I'll be putting it a 3'x 3' spot. How much do I need to get? I'm putting it on a 6' tower.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coral honeysuckle

You might possibly find it at WalMart or Lowes but I have only found the hybrids. I ordered mine from Mail Order Natives two years ago. The price of the plant including the shipping was cheaper than what I would pay for any vine locally. They don't take up much ground space but they do like to climb. I would think that one plant would be sufficient once it starts to grow and spread out its arms. Each year it will get fuller. Just an FYI...mine reached 10 ft. tall the first year but you can keep them on shorter structures without a problem.

Penny

o
RE: coral honeysuckle I forgot to mention...

That I would wait until at least the end of March or early April...It will make a nice birthday present to yourself.

Penny

o

Mine came for Mail Order Natives too. Very pleased with plants ordered from Amy.

o

I live in So. Ca., and it took me three tries before I found the one I wanted. I purchased mine at a nursery called Plant Depot in San Juan Capistrano, and it is in full bloom! The one I bought is called Magnifica. Very healthy
and bushy. Best of luck!

~Susan

o

Ordered mine last week on the 3/8 from Mail Order Native and it is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow on the 14th.
Also ordered a Alabama Crimson and a Tangerine Beauty.

o

I bought one at a local nursery last weekend...I'm guessing it would depend on your location.

o

I left the vine alone this past fall, did not cut it back to the ground, but did protect it with mulch since I'm in Zone 5. Do I need to cut it back this spring or just leave it alone ?
Thanks for any replies.

Dennis

o

Dennis you can trim back any damaged or dead vines after it starts to grow again but that is all you really need to do. I would wait until it leafs out and then remove only what is necessary to make it look good.

Penny

o

Thanks Penny.

Dennis

o

Does Coral Honeysuckle have a fragrance? And can I bring cutting into the house in a vase?

Thank You, Ms.LindaMarie

o

No, coral honeysuckle does not have a fragrance. The Japanese variety is the one with the fragrance but they are so invasive, they just about everywhere I look. There are hybrids however like 'goldflame' that smell and are sterile so it wont spread around. I believe mail order natives has them for like 6 bucks.

o

Is late May too late to plant coral honeysuckle?

o

I also recieved mine from mail order natives. I found it to be a very much loved vine by the hummers, that is once it gets mature and starts flowering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here