Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mboston_gw

Pictures of my winter hummers

mboston_gw
14 years ago

Here are the 5 hummers that I know have been around in my garden this winter. All are Rubys but one.

Male Ruby - I think it is Hummie, who came last year.

Female Ruby - came right as our cold spell got worse

2nd male, showed up with female

Immature Ruby - not sure which, still very gray

Immature Female Rufous - not very common here

Comments (13)

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

Mary, very nice photos! I can't wait til the hummers arrive in April.

I read or heard somewhere that the Rufous hummers are beginning to inhabit the Gulf coast more and more. Maybe that's why you're starting to see them there. I know that they are usually found in the western states, and I can't remember the reason they gave for them finding them now alomg the Gulf coast states in winter. That would include Florida, wouldn't it? Or, are you not on the Gulf side? When I watched that Hummingbird show on PBS they were tagging them on the Louisiana coast.

We're getting ready for another blast of snow and sleet here in Oklahoma. Hope your weather has improved.

susan

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm kinda in the middle of the state, between Tampa and Orlando. My friend also had an adult female in her yard. The lady who came to ID mine also banded my friends and said it was rare for two to be found in an area where they aren't nornally found.

We are having a cold winter. More days below the average 70 temps, plus lots of rain, which we need.
    just hoping for no more freezes. Some plants look like they may made it from our freeze before, others not.

• mimidi
    14 years ago

This pictures are so nice. I have two feeders out but have not been blessed with a winter hummingbird. I could have my first one for the spring in 5 weeks. They ususally show up the second week in March around my area.

• natal
    14 years ago

I didn't know Rufous visited Florida either. We get them every winter. Saw one in the courtyard today that has obviously recently been banded. Its paint dot is still fresh looking.

We've had a Buff-bellied visiting for months now. If you look hard you can see it in this shot taken yesterday during our brief snowfall.

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

How cool. I saw my Rufous today and she now has laot more color under the chin, actually saw like a triangle in the gorget area. I am expecting she will leave before my Rubys. I was told by the bander that mid to late Feb. for males and shortly thereafter for females, lastly the immatures. Since she is an immature, I am hoping she will stay around. I feared she had already left when I didn't see her on Thursday or Friday but then she has been around alot today.

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

.....there are advantages to living in Florida....sigh....

Susan

• basketcase1212
    14 years ago

I have a friend who lives in Litha . Do you live close to that town? She says she has not seen Hummingbirds there.Thanks Patricia

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lithia is not far from me, about 25 minutes tops. In fact it is right next to Valicro where Steve lives. He had 18 hummers banded in Jan. and Feb. and still has some that aren't banded. You just really have to have patience and spend lots of time watching for them. Does she have feeders out all the time?

• love_savannah
    14 years ago

I've really enjoyed viewing your pictures. Until this year, the thought of keeping hummer feeders up in winter never crossed my mind. For sure, I will put my feeders up next winter to see what happens.

In January of this year, a couple in St. Simons Island, Ga had a Buff Bellied Hummingbird visiting their feeder. Doreen and Jim Cubies drove from Awendaw, SC to St. Simons Island to capture and band the hummingbird. It was only the second record of a Buff Bellied in Georgia.

I get so excited upon the arrival of our first hummingbird in the spring. I'd be like a child on Christmas morning if I had a visiter during the winter, much less a rare species.

Thanks for sharing the pics!

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Doreen was the one who came to band the Rufous this month. She stayed at our house overnight so I got to pick her brain about hummers.

Fred Bassett from Alabama came in Jan. He drove down and along the Panhandle of Florida and down to us. Doreen came down from the east coast and over to us.

I fear everyday when I haven't seen the three that have been around recently that they have left. I suspect someone else may have put feeders up in my neighborhood. Even my "Hummie" the returnee from last year isn't hanging around in my yard as he usually does. I am missing them already!

• basketcase1212
    14 years ago

Mboston, I do not know if she has ,but I am hoping so.Sounds like winter is best time.I would be watching every day!!Patricia

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, as of today, I still have the female Rufous (aka Roufie), my immature gray one (aka Gracee) and male Ruby (aka Hummie). Some days I see them throughout the day and others it is hit and miss. Our weather has been so crazy - we have had only one day in the 80's and that was Tuesday - now it is back to the 50's with a freeze warning for tonight. Poor babies do not know whether to leave or not! I have seen reports on Journey North where people are reporting Rufous sightings in British Columbia and more so along the northern Gulf Coast(La and Tx). My male hummer last year stayed until March 27 th so I wouldn't be surprised to have him hang around for awhile. The gray one is still a mystery to me. Very little green on its back and a very slim build, just seems different than the Rubies I have had or the Rufous and the beak is really long to me. I am not even sure it is the same gray one that I have posted the picture above. Maybe I will try to post another couple pictures. My Rufous now has lots more color under the chin and the gray one seems thinner than the one in the above picture. Maybe you all can help me decide if its the same one or not.

• mboston_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I need your help. Would you compare these pictures to the one labelled Immature Ruby in my original posting. I am trying to figure out if this is the same bird or not.

These are recent pictures of my female Rufous. Her coloring has changed alot.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus