Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
penny1947_gw

2010 Migration Map

penny1947
14 years ago

For those who follow the Ruby throated spring migration, The new spring migration Map for 2010 is now up.

Penny

Here is a link that might be useful: 2010 Rubythroated Migration Map

Comments (20)

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Penny, I was just thinking about migration so thanks for posting the map. Last year, my first sighting was on 3/18, but since we've had unusually cold weather for our area, (MS), mid March may be a little optimistic, but we never know! Still have one feeder up and the others are ready to go!

Donna

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Thanks Penny for the link. I wondered when the 2010 RT migration map would be up. Guess I'll put up my first feeders when there are sightings on the coast.
    It's great to have to add extra sugar to my grocery shopping list, once again.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Donna,
    So far I haven't seen any reports from our Ms. members but we have had a couple of reports of birds in Fl. Those are most likely birds that have overwintered there since none of the spotters along the coast are reporting in yet. The weather has been very wintery along the coast this year. I sure hope that it doesn't impect the migration.

Rob
    Lanny always posts the new spring migration map for
    rubythroats the last week of February. Depending on your location in Texas, there are some hummers that actually do overwinter there...usually rufous, black chinned and sometimes a rubythroated. It will be a while before they head up north to my area but I will start stocking up on sugar in about a month.

Donna and Rbo
    Since you are both most apt to see the ealiest sitings make sure you post to Lanny your first sitings.

Penny

• mboston_gw
    14 years ago

Is there a way to see details on where/who posted each sighting on the map as Journey North's map do? Just wondering as I have wintering hummers and there is a dot near my area. I am assuming since my male has been here since mid Jan. that I shouldn't report it (and I had one even earlier but it left). Correct?

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lanny doesn't post the specifics on his site however he usually forwards the data to Journey North and the details can be seen there. The data that Lanny sends to JN will have a Hummingbird.net email address rather than the peremail addy of the person reporting.

If your bird has been there over the winter then it shouldn't be reported on the spring migration map but it can be reported on JN under the First Ruby Throated (winter) heading or First Rufous Winter if it is a Rufous.

Penny

Here is a link that might be useful: report your siting.

• mboston_gw
    14 years ago

Mine are already on the Rufous and Ruby maps. Thanks!

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mboston,
    You're Welcome

Penny

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

In a way Lannys map is a little disappointing to me as by the time I get my first there are always so many reports that mine cant be seen on the map. Even last year which was my earliest ever since Ive kept record 4-25 didnt make the map because of the congestion. But it is reported on journey north. Just the same I watch the migration move up the map with eager anticipation as always and Im sure I will have a fresh feeder out by april fools days.

I have had a wild bird feeder out for a couple of weeks with no action here as of yet. I have mixed emotion about that too as last year there were many birds congregating in this small yard and seemed to be a deterance when hummers arrived. Male RT didnt stake out this yard as they had they had the two previous years, not untill I removed the WBFeeders did they finally stake out my yard. How do others feel about this situation? I have a dead tree in my front yard that I sometimes hang feeders from and when other bigger birds land in the tree RTH are not a bit happy and try and run them off.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Steve,
    Lanny doesn't plot every report. He only plots the first report for a given area. Such as for my city whoever post their report first get the dot on the map. I have only managed it one time in 6 or 7 yrs.

My wild bird feeders go up in the fall and stay up all winter long. They are usually still up after the hummers first arrive. They are in different parts of the yard and never had a problem with the hummers and the other yard birds.

Penny

• mimidi
    14 years ago

Feeders are waiting for that first arrival. That should be about two weeks.

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

Wow Steve... I am surprised that they don't skip everyone else and go straight to you! :C)

Hard to believe they are on their way up now. For those that are just beginning to see hummers now, would I be correct in assuming that you don't see any during the summer cause they all came to my house?

• mimidi
    14 years ago

You would be assuming wrong for me. I have them from March until the middle of October. My population has grown since I started trying to attract them.

• eigdeh
    14 years ago

That is great that your season is so long.

I am hoping my population will increase this year.

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My ex husband lives in southwest Texas. His regulars return in march and stay until late Oct. or early Nov.

Penny

• Tom
    14 years ago

I saw a male today at my feeder. He is different from the one I have been seeing with some regularity--I think. He looks smaller and thinner. Like Mary, I really can't report this to the map since I'm not sure.

What is different is that I have substantially fewer flowers available this year. I do have a giant shrimp plant that is in full bloom; there are Azaleas and a few blossoms from a Cross vine and the red honeysuckle (L. sempervirens) is just starting, but that's pretty much it. Last year I had much more but the freezes killed a lot of blooms. If I didn't have to work I would be purchasing blooming plants right now. Perhaps next week...

• love_savannah
    14 years ago

I'm still waiting. Looks like they're getting close. I'll just keep watching my feeders with such anticipation.

• Mary Leek
    14 years ago

My thanks for posting the link to the migration map.

It's a bit early for sightings here but I've got a feeder out just in case we have a speedy one appear. :-)

Mary

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Penny, I have used his migration map for two years. I had hoped to get my first RT male sighting posted. But always got beat to the post for my area until this year. It's fun to be first in your area to get a spot on the map. May never happen again. Does your ex have hummers yet?

• penny1947
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Rob
    I have only had my report posted once in the six years that I have been watching the migration. Each year someone in my area beats me to it but I keep hoping that I will beat her/him out again LOL

Yes I think my ex saw his first hummer last week.

Penny

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    14 years ago

bump

Sponsored
More Discussions