Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Material for hummingbird nest

Posted by PFCMCL z10 - S CA (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 18:14

I saw this product/video online and I'm wondering what the material is and where I can get it myself. Does anybody have any idea?

Here is a link that might be useful: Video

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Material for hummingbird nest

I don't know but if you are able to find bulrushes, the downy seeds from the brown spikes are often used by hummingbirds. Just crack one open and tie it in place near where you see the hummers.

o

Good idea! I'll try that

o

I don't usually frequent this forum, but happened to see this. I put cat fur in an extra suet feeder on my deck. In JANUARY, in Olympia WA, I saw an overwintering Anna's plucking the fur for her nest. It's so wonderful to think of those little hummers all snug in their furry nest. And the adult takes the fur in her beak to about equal the size of her head. Quite amazing.

Now the chickadees and juncos are at the fur feeder, pulling it out, carding it with their beaks and feet, flying away with big bales of fluffy cat fur to line their nests.

As a side note, the Anna's have only begun overwintering here in the last few years. I keep my feeder out all year and when the weather dips below freezing, I wrap it in incandescent, not LED, Christmas lights to keep it from freezing. It's quite festive looking.

o

Nice video -- Dont know where to get the material either, wonder how the material for milkweed pods would do.

o

I've noticed Anna's Hummingbirds taking the fluff from clematis seed pods that I leave on the vines for nesting material.
Shirley

o

This is a good thread. I hoope people will add their knowledge to it.

I read that they will use dryer lint for their nests, so I've been saving the softest cotton lint for them. Putting it out on my deck today.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here