Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashcraftbunch

Need hummer info on plants n feeders

ashcraftbunch
15 years ago

We live in the northeast part of LA. We have been here for almost 4 years and up until til now all we have had is 2 window feeders and some potted plants but my DH has decided to help me redo our yard becuse he thinks my passion for outdoors has been put away for too long so as excited as I am I realize I have forgotten alot and was wondering if with some help I could get a hummer haven started. I need lists of plants and resources for the plants or anyone sharing plantings. Also I would love to see others pics. Is there any perfect feeder or do they all work. Our 3 kids especially the boys are excited as I am.. THanks in advance to everyone...oops almost forgot the most important thing- when do they start migrating this way?

Comments (5)

• donnalovesblue
    15 years ago

Hi...I don't have many hummer friendly plants except red salvia and new gold lantana (in pots), so I'm not any help there, but I'm sure the experts will chime in.

I do have many feeders (12 total) at peak season which is usually in August and Sept., and those little hummers keep me pretty busy...some hang from my breezeway, and others are on sheperd's hooks. My favorite feeder is the Hummzinger which comes in various sizes and very easy to clean because the bottom pops off. I do have some Perky Pet glass feeders with four perches each, but have had difficulty locating them except on-line.

There should be a 2009 migration map posted on this forum (or a link) pretty soon. My first RT appeared last season on 3/22 so be on the look out! Good luck with the backyard makeover!

Donna

• ctnchpr
    15 years ago

You can get lots of plant info by reading the posts on this forum ('Blooming Vines', 'plants for hummers', 'hummingbird plants/flowers??'...). The link below will carry you to the Migration Map site. He will start adding 2009 sightings soon. It looks like Mar 20 was the first report for NE LA last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Map

• mimidi
    15 years ago

Check out this forum. It has several members who live in your state. They are very active on the forum and they can tell you what plants will do great for you.

You are possibility in the area that is used for overwintering by the Rufous hummingbird. They have begun their migration west now. Nancy Newfield is a member of this site and she is a registered or certified hummingbird bander. She has also written a couple of books about hummingbirds. One is about hummingbird gardens. She lives in Metairie, Louisiana.

And yes the 2009 Migration Map went up yesterday. So far no sightings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird Forum

• mimidi
    15 years ago

Ashcraft here are a few plants I grow for the hummingbirds and are used by them. Like Donna your hummingbrid populattion could be the greates in August and September when they are on their migration sout for the year.

A plus with these plants is that butterflies will use them too.

4 O'clock
    Purple Coneflower
    Truks cap'
    Lions ear
    Black and blue salvia (for sure)
    Greggiis
    Shrimp plant
    Mexican bush sage (blooms in late summer in time for migrants)
    Honeysuckles(goldflame, coral, and Alabama crimson)
    Davie 'verty' cuphea
    Lady in red salvia (annual)
    Subrotunda salvia (annual)
    Yvonne's salvia (annual)
    Cannas (Robert Kemp, Peach Giantum

There are many others but you will not go wrong with these. Other than the ones I have noted as annuls are perinnals and unless we have an expremely hard freeze here in zone 8 will come back year after year. The annuals will reseed. It is also easy to save the seed from them.

• mimidi
    15 years ago

I have the Hummzinger and other types like it along with Perky Pet glass feeders. I order parts from them online too. The hummingbirds visiting my yards will use all of them.

Make your own nectar. Using a 4-1 ratio as a rule. That is one cup of water to 1/4 cup sugar. During the migration south many hummerlovers increase the ratio to 3-1. Making this for yourself will be a good lesson for your children. During the summer I make it up by the gallon and keep it in the fridge. Always on hand.

Perfect feeder? The perfect feeder is the one you like best.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals
More Discussions