Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_williams_gw

Handmade hummingbird feeders--Pictures!

kristin_williams
17 years ago

Hello, all. I've been a busy girl since last summer and through the long, hummingbirdless winter. I've been designing and creating feeders for myself and friends. I model them after real flowers from my garden, and attach them to mini liquor bottles that I scrounge up, or buy in bulk on ebay. I try to make them very realistic, although sometimes I take artistic license by making them bigger than life, or leave off certain botanical details that might interfere with functioning. Twisted brass wire makes a great hanger. This Salvia coccinea got used a lot last summer (and so did my real S. coccineas!)

This Great Blue Lobelia (Lobelia siphilitica) was just completed earlier in the winter. It will be interesting to see if they go for it. My guess is that they will. The purple hybrid Lobelia on the same page was readily used by hummers in 2006.

Finally, some Cypress vines. I grew only the red-flowered ones, but modelled the pink one after some pictures I saw on a seed packet.

I guess that's enough for now! I have started to accumulate lots of pictures of my feeders, and it was hard deciding which ones to show. I've also done a bunch of Four O'Clocks in various colors, a Lobelia cardinalis, and an orange, speckly Impatiens capensis, among others.

I can't wait until things start to bloom and I get some new inspiration. I also want to get some photos of birds actually feeding from them.

Alas, there's nothing but early crocuses right now!

Comments (13)

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Kristin,
    All i am getting is the red X no pics.

Penny

• kristin_williams
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's odd. I'm having no trouble seeing them and I don't have the first idea what to do to correct it. I don't have the computer knowledge to even guess what could be wrong. They're in Yahoo photos, and I made them public rather than private before I even posted them just in case that would make a difference. I'm not sure if it does, but I didn't want to take any chances on them not posting.

Well, that's discouraging. Does anyone have any ideas? The way I entered the pictures was to type in that "EYE EM GEE" thing and insert the location into that. I found the location of the picture by right clicking on the picture in Yahoo to create a box titled "Element Properties." Then I right clicked on the location listed in that box, selected it, and copied and pasted it into the proper place (I think!) in the "EYE EM GEE" format. I don't get it. I did this once before a long time ago and it worked then, so I don't know what I could be doing wrong or whether it's a Gardenweb or Yahoo glitch, or something specific to Penny.

Does this work, Penny? It's working for me.

• hummersteve
    17 years ago

Kristin--ditto for me all I get is the red x. Im sure someone on here has enough experience to tell you how to fix the problem.

• kristin_williams
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Can anyone besides me see these pictures? Does anyone know why I am able to see them and yet Penny and hummersteve are not?

I'm using Mozilla Firefox and have Yahoo Mail, although I don't know if that would make a difference. Should I try Internet Explorer? Or, maybe I should go to the library and try from there. Maybe I can go back into the forum instructions and try to set up a link. I'm not really sure how to do that or if it would make a difference.

This sophisticated computer stuff is a mystery to me. I need the Geek Squad!

• kristin_williams
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey guys. When I went into Internet Explorer, I got those same empty boxes. Maybe I'm onto something. I'm now in Internet Explorer and am going to try to post them again. Please let me know if it works this time.

This Salvia coccinea got used a lot last summer (and so did my real S. coccineas!)

This Great Blue Lobelia (Lobelia siphilitica) was just completed earlier in the winter. It will be interesting to see if they go for it. My guess is that they will. The purple hybrid Lobelia on the same page was readily used by hummers in 2006.

Finally, some Cypress vines. I grew only the red-flowered ones, but modelled the pink one after some pictures I saw on a seed packet.

I'm saying a prayer to the computer gods!

• penny1947
    17 years ago

NADA!

Penny

• kristin_williams
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Now I'm really stumped. I thought for sure this time that it would work. The interesting thing is that when I reposted them using Internet Explorer, while I was still in Internet Explorer, I could view the second set that had been submitted in Internet Explorer, but not the first set that had been submitted in Mozilla Firefox. In other words, when logged in with Internet Explorer, the Mozilla ones had boxes with red x's in them, but the Internet Explorer ones were fully viewable. Weird. When I'm in Mozilla Firefox, I can see all of the images, regardless of which way they were submitted.

I'm sorry if I'm being tedious, but just hoping that there's some techno-whiz out there that will know what's going on. Why can I see them just fine, and you can't?

It's frustrating, because I think they're really special and unique feeders and are very much worth seeing. I'm out of ideas and feeling disheartened.

Does anyone have any helpful ideas?

• goldfishjunkie
    17 years ago

I dont see them either... Just a red x... Hopefully someone will help fix this soon... I need to see them...

• kristin_williams
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for letting me know, goldfishjunkie. I've written an email to the Gardenweb folks, and am hoping I'll get a helpful response tomorrow.

I'm also going to call a good friend of mine and describe my picture posting problems to her husband. He's a nuclear physicist/computer genius. If he can't figure it out, I don't know who can.

Another thing I could try is uploading them to a different photo storage site like Photobucket. I'm so disheartened, though, that I don't know how much time or strength I have to put into this. From my end, it seems to work fine, but no one else seems to be able to see them. Sigh.

• hummersteve
    17 years ago

NADA good luck

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Kristin,
    where are your pictures hosted?

Penny

• kristin_williams
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Penny,
    They're in Yahoo! Photos.

I'm not sure what will happen if you click on this link, but when I do, a page opens that shows all of my photos. The first row has several hummingbird photo assemblages. I tried to post the Salvia, Lobelia, and Cypress vine ones. The rest are pictures of my bird artwork, so none of it is really of a private nature.

I'm not sure what you'll get if you click on the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yahoo Photos

• penny1947
    17 years ago

AHHHH, that is the problem. You can't hotlink directly from Yahoo and have the photos imbed in a post but you can from flickr which is affiliated with Yahoo. I use Flickr now for my photos that I want to share online.

Penny

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickr Picture Hosting

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions