Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opportunistic lizards

Posted by tima9209 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 2:31

I've been watching a little green anole lizard prowl the brick wall a foot away from one of my hanging feeders. I even caught him sitting on the feeder for several minutes, which was starting to get me mad. Today, I got lucky and glanced out the window just in time to see him jump from the wall to the feeder, grab a bug that was trying to score some nectar, and jump back to the wall, bug in mouth, which he swallowed whole some time later. If I had blinked, I'd have missed his attack, which was over in probably .1 seconds. I hope he hangs around and has an appetite for wasps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opportunistic lizards

Cool!! I had one living in my back yard in Florida, never noticed him near my feeders. The kids got a kick out of him, but he could be hard to spot!! We sat outside one day for a full hour, with 6 kids running around. My sister looked over and he was 2 feet from her face in a bush. Had likely been there the whole time. Christy :)

o

Anole lizards are very pretty, and they don't bite too hard when you catch them. House geckos OTOH...

The hummingbird activity is picking up. The first one hit the shrimp plant on March 14, and I hadn't seen more than two before today, when I saw five at once. Up to three feeders now, mainly to frustrate the aggressive male who thinks it's his job to sit on a tree branch all day and guard them all.

o

I had Carolina Anole regularly feeding at a hummingbird feeder on my front porch last August. I've added a link to a video that includes of his approach to the feeder as well as his meal. It's not the best video and it's a number of clips pieced together but hopefully you'll enjoy it.

Steve in Valrico.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carolina Anole on a Tweeter Totter Hummingbird Feeder

o
RE: Opportunistic lizards - take 2

The following series of photos was taken a few years ago when I first observed an anole feeding at a hummingbird feeder. I did not see the bird until I looked at the photos.

Steve in Valrico

o

That's pretty cool! I haven't seen mine drinking, just hunting. :)

o

Truly enjoyed the picture series. Excellent capture of hummer taking exception to the invader. I have little lizards about that size around here but they are not green they are dark either grey or brown and one got in my house once and I had to run him down lest he start a family inside.

o

I finally caught the little guy lapping away at one of the ports. Some of the hummingbirds are brave enough to feed on the opposite side, but most just hover angrily a few inches away until they realize the lizard doesn't care.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here