Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom123_gw

First one this morning!

Tom
17 years ago

Just saw my first hummer of the year! Thought I'd share that with y'all. I'm in Central Florida.

They are coming your way.

Comments (14)

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Thanks Tom! It is good to see them on the move.

Penny

• mboston_gw
    17 years ago

Congrats, Tom! I have beenwaiting to see your post of a sighting! Wish I could say I have seen one.

• kristin_williams
    17 years ago

Ditto on the congratulations. It's nice to know that they're pointed in our direction, but they are still so far away! I figure I have at least a month and a half to go before those little rascals show up. I hope they remember how to find our yard. There will be Bleeding Hearts, columbines, and home made feeders waiting for them....

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Same here Kristin that is if the snow is all gone by then!
    Penny

• cs7580
    17 years ago

Way to go Tom :) I wish thy was here! Thy will be here by me soon I hope. I got my some of my feeders done, and now working on my new folower garden.

• mimidi
    17 years ago

Congratulations!! How exciting.

• coralmckinney
    17 years ago

Thanks for the heads-up, Tom. I'm in Savannah, GA and put-up my feeders a few minutes ago. Will let everyone know when they arrive.

• cinnamongirluf
    17 years ago

Hi Tom!
    Congrats! I am just north of Orlando and am waiting to see my first of the year. Seen many in the past but can't wait to see them this year. Do you know how long they stay around Central Fla?
    Steph

• Tom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey, Steph. They should be in your neighborhood now. The males show up first, then a few weeks later the females come. I have them from the beginning of March until the end of September, normally. The males start leaving in early July. The females with their young stick around longer.

Happy humming!

Tom

• terbat
    17 years ago

St Augustine, FL
    First one at my feeders today at 2pm - small, ruby-throated. I had put my feeders out about a week ago...I had a "feeling" they would be here sooner than later!

• lynn1027
    17 years ago

Great News!. I just had my first sighting March 9 - a male ruby here in NE Fl. I saw my first a week earlier last year. At least the Coral Honeysuckle is blooming for them and well as some left-over pineapple sage.

• bridget_bb
    17 years ago

We saw our first one of the year Mar 28th - Jacksonville, Fl area. We were going to put up feeders on Apr 1...so they beat us to it. Seem to have had more activity this year.... 3 at once here on Sat night. They're mainly hitting our monstrous honeysuckle.
    Does anyone know if we get any other variety than the Ruby Throated?

• penny1947
    17 years ago

This time of the year chances are you will only see Ruby-Throated hummers. During the winter you might see some western migrants.

Penny

• myoneandonly
    17 years ago

Hey Tom, as a former resident of Central Florida near UCF, and an avid butterfly enthusiast, I never saw a hummingbird the whole time I lived there, much to my dismay. How can one have butterflies galore and not hummers. I never found an answer, but am happy they are there.

Sponsored
More Discussions