Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eigdeh

Hummer sighting in Mass?

eigdeh
14 years ago

According to:

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/humm_ruby_spring2010.html

there was one! Not listed as a winter sighting either. It sure is hard to believe that one could survive up there at this time of year even if someone has a feeder out.

This is my first year seeing these migration maps as they happen. Sure is more fun this way!

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here for above Link .

Comments (9)

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Wow! Ken

That is amazing Ive not seen anything like that this early in the year. Actually it is in west chester, Pa. according to journey north. But I wonder if it is an error by the spotter.

Here is a link that might be useful: journey north

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Actually last night when I posted this the dot was definately in Mass, on the coast not to far from the the Rhode Island border. I gather the journey north changed it since. Better news for me as west chester is not really that far from me. Still find it hard to believe it has a chance.

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

what a waste of a thread. 5 minutes ago the dot was indeed in West Chester, PA. I just went back to see just how far it is from me and the dot is gone! I guess the web master is having a hard time believing that data too.

At least I got the chance to say how much more fun it is to watch these maps as it is happening!

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Whether the error was on the spotter or journey north at least they have it straighted out. I guess it was just too good to be true.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Ken

It is good to see you still have an interest in hummers . After your disappointment last season I didnt know how you would react this season if at all. It is good to see you still have the spirit.

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Steve!

I remember the day I posted that I was done. It was a feeling that was building up from a long season of hard work and fairly low turnout. But after a day or two I cooled off. It was not only the hard work of changing the feeders each day, which I did in the hottest part of the summer, but all the effort and disappointment from looking for them each day. The times that they were around though it was worth it.

I will continue to be a slave to them and hopefully more will come this year. Hopefully I will have the turnout that you do at some point!

I found an interesting thing about the two migration sites.

hummingbirds.net seems to only post the first sighting for an area. Proof is that the colors are pretty well spaced out.

The learner.org site posts all first sighting and if you look at the completed map it is a mishmosh of colors. But there is something that you can do to help make sense of it all. There is a box to the upper left that you can select the week to display. What I did was go to last years map, then select winter sightings from that box. Then I hit the down arrow and went week by week and noticed that the difference between first sightings in the same area were as much as 6 weeks apart in some areas! You would never get that info from hummingbirds.net.

Interesting stuff. I wonder if the people that reported their first sightings 6 weeks later were enthusiasts like us, or just people that did not notice them for the last month. Seeing that you get them 4 weeks later than hummingbirds.net's first sighting makes me think that the true first sightings posted are enjoyed by just a few.

Give it a shot with last years map, click link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Last years map, play with the week ending box.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Ken

Thanks for the link. There is one thing that irritates me about the Lannys map I never get on it . By the time I get a hummer there is not enough space left on the map to post it. But I do get on the journey north and thats why its good to post there everyone can get on it and anyone can see when you first had a hummer.

Steve

• eigdeh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lanny's is easier to see the absolute first sighting, but I think Journey North is more useful if you use the select by week function.

03/18/10 Clarkston MI 42.72 -83.42 has been up for 2 full days at Journey North!

• bdriver71
    14 years ago

This post had me panicking. Haven't been here for awhile,
    and don't have my feeders up yet. eigdeh, it's worth it
    even for a low turn out. I never expect to have as many as Steve,
    though I will keep trying.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Remodeling & Handyman Services
More Discussions