Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bandjzmom

Hand feeding Hummers

bandjzmom
14 years ago

We get our first RTHB's here around the first of April. Then in mid-July, the possee rolls in. From mid-July until the end of September, we have somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 RTHB's regularly feeding, with lots of females and juvies in the bunch. I decided that we should try hand feeding since we have so many. With some time and patience, I think that anyone can accomplish this. The key is to be really still. You can talk to them, just don't move! Check it out here:

http://s642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/GAnaturelover/?action=view¤t=P1010564.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (7)

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Im not too much into handfeeding, although during august migration I certainly have enough action to do it. I do have an old photo from a few years ago with a not so good camera. Some might not call it hand feeding but its my only version.

• love_savannah
    14 years ago

Well, hand feeding hummingbirds is a thought that's never crossed my mind. I can imagine that you'd have to be really BIG in the patience department. I'm still working on trying to get a good picture of one. LOL

Bandjzmom, I enjoyed viewing all of your pictures. The hummingbird picture just blew my mind. I must ask you, "Did you place each one of those butterflies on the line by hand?" From somebody who raises Monarchs, that was indeed something to see...loved it!

In case anyone else wants to view your pics, I could only get through using this:

http://s642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/GAnaturelover

Hummersteve, that's an amazing picture!

There will be no hand-feeding hummers for me. We have too many cats around with watchful eyes.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi savannah! Thanks! I purchased a large Butterfly Farm Terrarium on-line, and I raised the Monarchs inside it on my porch. The tent is about 4 feet tall, and I can place whole potted Tropical Milkweed plants inside for the cats. I collect the little cats from the Tropical milkweed which is planted in the gardens and transfer them to the tent. Once the cats pupate and the butterflies eclose, I remove them from the tent by placing an old dried narrow milkweed stem inside. They climb upon the stem and I transfer them to the line to dry. Once they are dry, they can freely fly away. I released 90+ adults, and it was my first year of serious butterfly raising. Also raised some Black SWT's, Cloudless Sulphurs, and Sleepy Orange butterflies in 2009. I can send you pics by e-mail if you'd like.

• love_savannah
    14 years ago

I'd love to see more pics. You can email me at: savannahtreasures@yahoo.com.

The first year raising Monarchs, I used netting which was great until my feline cats discovered it. I was constantly repairing the enclosure and worried about their safety. The next year I made an enclosure using window screen. It worked out great but observing was hindered because of the dark gray screening.

I'm still working towards the best enclosure for them. It would really be great to place the entire plant inside the enclosure for them.

Bandjzmom, I can't wait to see more pictures! Thank you.

Bon

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okie Dokie savannah. The pics are in your Inbox. Hope I didn't send too many and hope that you enjoy!!

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Savannah

Besides patience you need a lot of hummers in your area and do it in area where they feed heavy. In my posted pic it is double difficult as I not only held the feeder but also held the camera, so besides being nervous you get a rush when that hummer feeds from your hand held plus the breeze from the wings.

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

Love your photos, Bandjzmom! And the Monarch lineup in particular LOL!

I raised so many different butterflies last year, including Monarchs, I didn't keep count, except for the Red Admirals (raised 50+ from one egg layin' mama). I love the Sleepy Oranges, too, and the Cloudless Sulphurs, Black Swallowtails, Gulf Fritillaries, Buckeyes, Hackberry and Tawny Emperors, Question Marks, and so on and so on.

Such fun! Now I must try hand feeding Hummers!

Susan

Sponsored
More Discussions