Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
YEA.....First Hummer Sighting

Posted by donnalovesblue (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 25, 10 at 10:33

I am soooooooo excited! A few minutes ago, standing in front of a kitchen window....here she came! She looks very mature to me and she drank for a pretty long time!

The season is here and I hope all of your feeders will be busy with these precious jewels!

Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: YEA.....First Hummer Sighting

How exciting Donna! What state do you live in and is it early for you to see them?

Looking at the migration maps it seems that they pushed a little further north on the east coast than in past years.

Ken

o

Donna

Congrats to you on getting your very first and how exciting I know that is for you. In the past thats the way its happened here when I get one they sit on the feeder for a good while to feed, guess they are hungry.

For Kens info I believe donna lives in miss. I know she will correct me if Im wrong.

o

What a good memory you have, Steve....yep, I'm in east central MS. This is not early for us...in fact, last year my first sighting was 3/18 and I think it was a male.

Looking forward to all of us sharing our hummer stories.

o

Donna, you make me smile! Congratulations. There seems to be lots of both males and females moving through here. I think we will have a good hummer season, all of us.

Do you suppose all these feeders out year after year are aiding hummers survive and increase there numbers? I think so.

o

Hi!

I'm in Arizona near Prescott in the high country (which is way north of Phoenix). Saw my first hummer this morning at the small feeder I put out last week!!! I saw they were near me on the migration map...so I've had the feeder out for a week. Nice hearing the flutter of her wings again...I already made much more sugar water for the other feeders!!

o

Well, he (?) didn't stop at my feeder but I saw my first this morning as I admired yesterday's gardening in my jammies, with coffee cup in hand. He was carefully surveying my large pine tree--a nesting site?

o

I have to jump in here too. This afternoon I saw something whiz past the office window. Checked at the front door and, sure enough, a ruby throat was on the nearby coral honeysuckle.

When it disappeared, I stepped outside. It was easy to spot nectaring at a NOID magenta pink salvia (microphylla? greggii?).

Life is good when the hummers return, isn't it? - June

o

It's so much fun reading about everyone's first sighting this year.

Rob, I'm no expert, but I do believe our feeders help them out and aid in their survival.

2 males have now joined the little female and one is already a bully! Greedy little guy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here