Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristin_williams_gw

First hummer report on Kentucky/Indiana state line!

kristin_williams
17 years ago

How exciting! I can't tell if the report is in Indiana or Kentucky, but it looks like Indiana. They sure are on the move! The weather is gorgeous here in western PA--sunny and in the 60's. I think the hummers are liking it as much as I.

Hummersteve, it looks like you may well be seeing your first one before I do. The odds were with you all along, due to your location and the numbers of birds that you have. I may only have had 4-6 birds last year, and I know you had many more than that. Seeing this map, I know that it can't be long before they'll be buzzing around in zone 7 and zone 6 gardens.

The first "scouts" are arriving. I hope that you (Hummersteve), and everyone else in Missouri, southern Illinois, Indiana, southwestern Ohio, southern West Virginia, and southern Virginia has got their feeders up. The first ones should be arriving any day now!

Here is a link that might be useful: 2007 Hummingbird Migration map

Comments (13)

• penny1947
    17 years ago

It is in the Evansville, Indiana area

• hummersteve
    17 years ago

Kristen

I was rather shocked when I looked at the map today. My first thought was that it is the Evansville area , which is my birthplace. Evansville actually borders the Ohio river which is a dividing line from Kentucky. Obviously, they arent even looking for them down , just seemed to skip over them on the map. Yes I put my feeders out today. I already had them cleaned and ready just a matter of making the mix. I have two window feeders up which they seem to prefer for it is sorta high up and out of the way. My pc says its 83° here today and will stay in that general area for the next week. With the temps and movement now I wouldnt be surprised if in the next few days PA and NY get hit somewhere in their respective states.

Penny how many feeders do you have out? I know you must have at least one out.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Steve,
    I have one in an open area out back that borders a wooded area right now. Between now and the middle of April I will put one in the front yard depending on how quickly the migration proceeds.

Penny

• sammy1211
    17 years ago

Im in Indianapolis. I have 2 feeders out but no sitings yet. Cant wait.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Wow...Someone posted to the map that they were seen near/in the Indianapolis area.

Hmmmm..I guess they flew right on by me.

Sue...off to get feeders up now

• dreamspirit
    17 years ago

What map are you talking about? I have one feeder. I think I will get another one. Is it too late to put out another one? Is it better if the feeder is in the sun, shade or partial shade?

• penny1947
    17 years ago

The spring migration map. It is never too late to add a feeder. It is best to put them where there is some shade so the nectar won't ferment as fast. It should be changed every two to three days when temps are in the 80's or above.

Penny

Here is a link that might be useful: 2007 Spring Migration Map

• Charlee_MO
    17 years ago

I kinda thought they might arrive earlier this year.
    The weather has been so warm here and then with the time change coming earlier, too. I thought they might arrive a little earlier
    Guess I better fix up some food and put out a feeder or two.

I'm in the southeast part of the state right on the MO/AR border and they've already posting sightings near my area.

• marty_gardener
    17 years ago

too cold here. I had feeders out 2 weeks ago , but brought them in due to temps below freezing last several days. Hope thy are staying somewhere warm for a while longer.

• kudzuspirit
    17 years ago

I have seen none here in upstate SC.Last weekend we had record-breaking cold..I am so disappointed.

• penny1947
    17 years ago

I have one feeder that has been out since March 21.st I put one out very very early and sometime have one out all winter because of western vagrants that will be migrating back westerward. Then around this time of year I add another for any early spring rubythroated hummers. When they are heading north (or west) there is very little natural food for them in the way of blooming plants that contain nectar. Feeders for a migrant can make the difference to whether they are able to survive or not espeically when we have up and down temps like this year. Even plants in the southern gardens are suffering dammage and a feeder or two can help them survive.

Penny

• cornlash_msn_com
    13 years ago

I live in Kentucky. In 2010 I seen my first hummingbird on April 10. Before they left for winter we seen about 20 to 30 or more. I am hoping that they come back eariler this Spring. If you have a redbud tree, when the leaves are starting to come on, I ussually have seen several hummingbirds by that time. I have spoted them while the buds was still on the Redbud tree. So keep watching!

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

There are now two new sightings in central indy terra haute and edinburgh. I am located not that far from edinburgh as the crow flies maybe 20mi so I launched two window feeders today.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions