Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdsrwonderful

Hummer Sightings?

birdsrwonderful
17 years ago

Has anyone seen any hummingbirds in the Nashville area?

The migration map shows them all around TN and further north.

I put my feeders out this past weekend but was disappointed not to see any.

Comments (11)

• cs7580
    17 years ago

I live in Paris. TN I have not seen any. I got the feeders out and no hummer's :(

• kristin_williams
    17 years ago

In 2006, the first hummingbirds in our area were reported on April 14th, and yet I didn't see my first, a male, until May 2nd. You need to remind yourself that all those dots you're seeing in Tennessee are the earliest arrivals. The bulk of the birds (females especially) won't be returning for at least another week or two. So, it's not at all odd, or bad that you haven't seen any yet. If you're very lucky, you may see one in the next couple of days, but more likely, you won't be seeing your first before early April.

This migration map is really fun, but one problem is that it tends to promote unrealistic expectations about arrival dates. This is just the first wave, and more birds will surely be following in the coming weeks. Remember this, and hang in there.

If it's any comfort, I'll be doing the same in a week or two--going nuts and wondering why Joe Shmoe in the next county has got them, and I don't! I'm going to have to take a deep breath and heed my own advice, but goodness, it's hard. I want them back NOW! IMMEDIATELY, PRONTO!!! Watching that map's driving me crazy!

--Kristin

• cs7580
    17 years ago

That goes for me toooooo lol. I'm gonig nuts I NEEEEEEEED MY HUMMER FIX NOW!!!!! #$%&^&^%$#

• birdsrwonderful
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the replies and the encouragement. Looks like I was relying on the map too much and letting it get my hopes up.
    I am keeping my feeders up and keeping the nectar fresh even though no takers yet and April is only a few days away!!!

• almida110_comcast_net
    13 years ago

Anyone seen any hummingbirds yet? Collierville? Germantown?

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

I am in extreme NW GA, on the Chattanooga line, and I have 3 RTHBs feeding at my feeders right now. Have seen 2 males and 1 female for sure so far. Don't lose hope. They have to be really close to you now.~~Angie

• deanie13
    13 years ago

Hey Angie and others: I'm in the Chatt. area too -- my first hummer was a male, April 6th. Since then, just one other female that I can tell. But they're heavy feeders. We had heavy rain early tonight and the male was still feeding in the downpour, fluffing his tail feathers constantly. He looked so waterlogged I was afraid he wouldn't be able to fly, but of course he did. He was so fun to watch!

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

deanie...you and I should meet up in person some time. Not sure of the distance between us, but I am, for all intents and purposes, in Chattanooga.
    My first RTHB showed up here on April 3rd which was right on time for me. I saw another female yesterday. So, I can assuredly say that there are at least 2 males and 2 females feeding here now.

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Almida

You should have one soon. Its the same way everywhere untill hummers become more widespread. Im in central indy and they are all around me according to the map but still none at my place. Im guessing Im still about 10 days away unless I break a record which isnt likely.

• deanie13
    13 years ago

Angie, we should. I am, for all intents and purposes, in Cleveland.

• bandjzmom
    13 years ago

Cleveland is sure not far from me Deanie. Hamilton Place Mall is probably about halfway between us. We should meet over there for lunch sometime. I'll email you privately, and we will arrange it if you'd like. Maybe we could visit Ooltewah Nursery too!~~Angie