Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What are some great hummingbird container plants?

Posted by greenthumbzdude 6 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 30, 11 at 13:05

This year I would like work with some more tropical plants that would appeal to my hummingbirds. Since I live in a colder climate they would have to be in containers.What are some of the best hummingbird plants for container use?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What are some great hummingbird container plants?

Tecoma Stan known as yellow Bells. It is a South Texas plant and it wont over winter even here in Dallas unless you take it inside. The hummers down here love it.

o

"Robert Kemp" Canna does great in containers. It has small, red flowers, and dark green leaves. It's a species, so you can grow it from seeds.

o

There are many plants to suggest, but the first that comes to mind is porterweed (Stachytarpheta). There are many different types. You will find that butterflies love them also. These plants grow fast and should do well for you.

One other suggestion is the Cuphea Shummani. This is simply one of the best hummer plants there is. It's a fairly new discovery and can only be purchased online, I believe. Bustani farms has it available.

Here is a link that might be useful: Porterweeds

o

Lady in Red, Black & Blue, and Coral Nymph salvias do well in containers.

o

I second Tom's suggestion. I grew Stachetarpheta 'Dwarf Red Compacta' from Bustani last year, and the hummers LOVED it! I ordered more for this year, along with Salvia darcyi, Cuphea 'David Verity', Dicliptera suberecta.

Other good container plants for me include red Pentas, Hamelia Patens, Turk's Cap malva (Malvaviscus arboreous, Lantana.

If I were to choose just one, though, it would be Salvia 'Lady in Red'.

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here