Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hummersteve

Anyone have this shrub?

hummersteve
14 years ago

I was looking for flowering shrub for my yard and found this guy that is on sale. Also looks like this big guy needs room to grow 4-6 ft . What are the opinions on this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wine and Roses

Comments (11)

• coolaces
    14 years ago

hi steve, i have 2 of them .very nice bushes,blossoms heavily in spring then a light blushing 1 more time.mine seems to have a light sprinkle of flowers through the summer;hummers go to it off and on but seem to prefer flowers. pete

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pete

Thanks pete, in the spring is when I would like for it to bloom.

• mbuckmaster
    14 years ago

Steve, I have one of these and they're nice shrubs. I haven't experienced the hummer attraction as much as others say, but then again this shrub is farther away from my line of sight and near the goldflame honeysuckle that is their #1 choice. I also have 'My Monet' wegelia which is nice in contrast. They are easy to grow and withstand neglect and any soil type. They both rebloom for me in the fall as Pete says. Don't think you'd go wrong with these shrubs!

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Usually when hummers arrive at my place its feeders only but then I never have anything in bloom at may 1st. Its normally late june/july before I have blooming, except for coral honeysuckle. In the past I have picked up certain types of weigela at my local krogers didnt seem to get much action. But I would still like to have a shrub or two in my yard. Im hoping these will have an upright bushlike habit.

• mbuckmaster
    14 years ago

I'm sure you've heard this before, but buckeye would also be a great tree-shrub for early spring when your first migrators come back.

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ive heard about it but know nothing of it. Perhaps someone could post a photo of this and how big does it get.

• ala8south
    14 years ago

Steve, you're obviously on the same search I am. I'm thinking the wine and roses and a shrimp plant might help me attract more early hummers.
    dell

• mbuckmaster
    14 years ago

Red buckeye is a great tree for hummers, even if you're not an Ohio State fan!

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Buckeye

• susanlynne48
    14 years ago

I had a red shrimp plant last year and the hummers totally ignored it in favor of red pentas. This they loved.

I am planting a new honeysuckle - Lonicera sempervivens 'Blanche Sandman' that I hope will be a magnet, along with Salvia 'Hot Lips' and other Salvias.

Are you talking about Red buckeye, Aesculus pavia? I have Bottlebrush Buckeye, Aesculus parviflora, which is also a nice shrub, but gets pretty big. It also has white blooms instead of the red.

Susan

• hummersteve
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hummingbirds can be a fickle breed. Thats another story, but just because one plant does well in attracting the hummer in one persons yard doesnt mean that will hold true in another persons yard. But it is a good standard to go by. For the first time this year I am also adding lonicera sempervirens major wheeler and salvia microphylla hot lips.

• penny1947
    14 years ago

Steve,
    The Red Buckeye can grow bewtween 12 & 15ft. in our growing zone. I have one planted in the back corner of my yard that I am hoping will bloom for the first time this year. It is about 4ft. tall right now. I ordered it from Mail Order Natives 2 years ago as a young sapling since they are very hard to find here and if you do find one they are about $50.00

Penny

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH
More Discussions