Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hbwright_gw

Re-post from vine forum-Coral Honeysuckle

hbwright
18 years ago

I posted this in the vine forum but thought it might get more recognition here. I don't know.

I planted it last spring and it bloomed beautifully all summer long until it browed up with the red berries in the fall. I did not read that it should be pruned in the winter at the time so I left it alone.

Now it is nothing but dead swindly twigs. I think I planted it around the begining of April last year and it was a good 1-1 1/2 ft tall so I'm wondering if I should see something already or if I should start looking for another supplier for one this year.

Thanks Heidi

Comments (53)

• dena_tx
    18 years ago

It usually takes mine awhile to come back after winter. I would give it a few more weeks.

• hbwright
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm thinking I might just go ahead and order one and if this one ends up coming up I'll have a spare:) I'm sure if I look really hard I'll find a good home for it in the yard somewhere.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Heidi,
    I just came inside from checking out my coral honeysuckle since our last freeze and snowfall. In fact the temps just now hit 40 fegrees F. for today and yes I still have snow on the ground but the honeysuckle still has a green leaf an quite a few tiny buds on the vines so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Penny

• hbwright
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So, is this off the old wood. I did not cut it back. I have nothing on the old wood or coming up from ground. Sniff, sniff, this isn't looking good. It was sooooooo nice last year. I can't believe it wouldn't have made it past this mild winter.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

Yes it was sprouting smaller branches from the old wood. My understanding is that it will bloom on new wood so I imagine the budding is new stems popping out. Hang in there I am sure yours will come back.

BTW, my old wood doesn't look to good right now.

Penny

• Tom
    18 years ago

We don't have any hard freezes where I come from, but we do have a few mild ones. I'm sure you have scracted the stems of the vines to see if there is any green underneath, yes?

• hbwright
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, I've been scratching.

I went out yesterday and did some rose cleaning and other spring preperation. I noticed new growth under my pineapple sage and cut those back, and my mexican bush is growing like a wild fire. But, my honeysuckle, big fat nothing. I see no green underneath any of the twiny twigs. This poor beautiful thing is a gonner I'm sure of it.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

I would leave it where it is for a while longer. Test some of the stems to see if the are brittle and break off easily or if they are plyable. that should tell you if there is any life in your honeysuckle. I don't think you will see new growth coming from the base. Mine has new growth starthing on the old wood.

Penny

• hbwright
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Mine are brittle. I am going to leave it be for another few weeks at least. Just in case there is some life in there somewhere. It looks bleek but I'm willing to give it a fighting chance just in case it has any life left.

• hbwright
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Just ordered one from the site you listed Penny. I'm still so sad but I saw one down the road from me that was so lush and full with buds already starting, it stayed almost evergreen through the winter. I don't know what happened to mine. It has the best soil where it is then anywhere in my yard. Maybe I need to throw some heavy clay in there and neglect it.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

It is a native and really can survive in just about any soil.

Penny

• hbwright
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Got it today. I don't know if it has been hardened. We don't have any freezes predicted but I don't want to chance it. Should I pot it up for a few nights at least and bring it out during day and in at night? That is what I'm doing with my perrenials.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

hb
    that is what I did with mine last year. I actually kept it in a pot for about a month or more and put it out on days that were above 50 and sunny. I just set it in a sheltered location. Once it went outside for good it just took off and din't stop until I cut it down in the fall.

Penny

• hbwright
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well I'm excited. I know the last one took off quick. This one already has flower buds on it. I did take out the other one and the roots were huge and the soil was good. I have no idea why it didn't make it. I even cut into the roots to see if there was any signs of life and nothing. I'm going to plant the root ball by my back fence just in case but it looks very doubtfull. At least I got another one to replace it so hopefully this one won't croak on me too. Thanks for the reference Penny.

• greenhummer
    18 years ago

Is this the same plant your talking about? The leaves are
    still green up north. Being in a planter I was suprised its
    doing so well. The hummers just love this plant.

• hbwright
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yup, that is it. See if it survives up north I have no idea why it didn't here. Everything is growing like weeds (including the weeds) but my poor beloved honeysuckle. Hopefully this one will make it. It better.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

hb
    something may have attacted your plant. That does occasionally happen. Hopefully this one will do well for you. I still want to order another one even though I do have tiny leaves popping out on mine right now and I have 8 seeds from my plant sown. I just abosolutely love this plant but I have abosulutely no room to put another plant in my house. I just received 3 red yuccas and a salvia Purple Majesty yesterday in addition to the 12 fuschias that I rooted along with the 2 parent plants, a passiflora, 3 Salvia guaraniticas, a Baja Fairy Duster, an overgrown candy corn vine that is trying to reach the boston fern and numerous containers of sprouted salvia, cuphea, impatiens, chilian glory vine and a porch full of winter sown seeds and 2 red Buckeyes. I am afraid if I order another honeysuckle my husband just may file for divorce. I have become an obsessive hummingbird plant addict and I really need a green house or at the very least a glass enclosed room just for plants. Next year I am seriously considering trying to find a way to enclose my south facing frount porch so that some of these plants can overwinter out there. But I still haven't ruled out getting another honeysuckle LOL

Penny

• hbwright
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The plants are beautiful in their own right and the fact that they attract hummers is a bonus. I have it right at my front porch where I sit on the bench not two feet away from it and my only "problem" is that they hummers will attack me to get to the plant. They don't mind that I'm sitting there all day long in the least. They fly between the honeysuckle and the impatients containers by my front door about 8 feet apart. I'm hoping to get more then the few I had all last year and planning on fighting for rights to my backyard if the dogs will allow it.

• greenhummer
    18 years ago

I had alphids attack my plant once, seems they like the nectar too. I take cuttings when I trim the plant and stick them in the ground to get new plants. I've got several this way. I prune in the spring and again in the late fall. If the roots are alive it will come back, otherwise replace it. Good luck to you..

• hbwright
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Got my replacement so I'm hardening it now. We've been getting frost so I have some perennials in the garage during the night. So far this spring has not been nice to me.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

We are going to have a significant warm up this week...high 50's low 60's all week. I just had a wave of goldfinches fly overhead so i am hopeful that things are going to keep getting better from here on out.

Penny

• hbwright
    Original Author
    18 years ago

We are warming up to with highs in the 60's and up to high 70's by the end of the week with lows tonight in the 40's expected to be in the 50's later. Woopee. I am going to get my plants out now I think and cover them if need be. I always get it done by my son's birthday which is tax day. I like a pretty house when company comes to visit and I noticed a lot of new dots from yesterday.

On a bad note I butchered a beloved rose bus in a frenzy thinking I had possible crown gall and it turned out to be such a healthy cane it was literally busting at the seams. This one cane had 4 georgeous stems from it alone. Sniff, sniff. Good news is that it wasn't crown gall and almost worth it to find out my bush is still healthy. LOL.

• hbwright
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Penny, I came here to see when I planted my honeysuckle vine and maybe I'm just overly anxious because of last years but this one isn't growing at all. I think I see what looks like would be an eye down on the stem but I'm not sure. It has done nothing since putting it in the ground. Last years I put in the ground and had to run it jumped up out of the ground with budds all over it. This one is sleeping in every sense of the word. My previous one was in a 1 gallon pot, only about a foot high but probably more roots so what do I expect from this one. Am I going to have to wait 2 years for it to mature? I'm so ready to go out and spend the 30.00 that it would cost to replace it with a mature one and resisting with every cell in my body. That is the cheapest I can find it locally and I'm having a hard time resisting the temptation. My husband would blow a gasket.

Darn hummingbirds have me near stroke at this point.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

hb,
    patience is a virture. Mine is just leafing out now. Once it starts it will take off I am sure. my vine last year when I got it did start out a little slow but it topped out at over 10 ft. and bloomed all summer. In fact I think I recall that it had a flower bud before it really started to grow and put out more shoots. I honestly didn't expect mine to grow that much last year. It is probably getting readjusted after being removed from its original environment, shipping and replanted in its new home. It has to get its little roots established to take in nutrients. . I don't know for sure if Amy grows them in containers or the ground but either way they are in a different environment now from what they were in and different weather conditions. I think once it settles in it will be fine.

To be honest with you I am dying to see mine start growing good this year too. After last year I cut mine down to about 6 or 8 inches and then broke the tap root when I moved it out of the large tub I had it in last year to lousy clay soil with compost in my garden. Mine has had a big adjustment period to go through this year.

Penny

• hbwright
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That is what I'm hoping, that it will just take off all the sudden like mine last year. It was my favorite plant in the yard, including all my roses so that says a lot. The long stems would reach out into the porch area to about 2 feet away from my sitting area and the hummers didn't mine my presence in the least, they just wanted to feast. I have literally sat and cried over the loss of my vine. I know, pretty silly.

Off topic, my kids school got the nationally recognized school yard habitat award and we had a blast for earth day even though it rained out. They will still plant their flowers sometime during the week. The turn out stank, but those that showed up had a blast. Even my four-year-old son got to dress up as a bumble-bee. Sooooo, cute. I think they'll make the paper so my fingers are crossed my precious darlings will make it in there.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

OH HOW Cute!!! My stepdaughter is on her first girl scout nature campout this week end also. I am hoping she comes back with lots of good stuff that she learned. She has been feeding hummers since she was about 3 yrs old and knows almost as much as I do about plants that attract them and how to recognize hummer plants.

Penny

• hbwright
    Original Author
    18 years ago

My duaghter told me a couple days ago that I should plant some plants that the hummingbirds and butterflies would like. I had to laugh and tell her that was a great idea. Gee, why do you think you're neglected every spring honey? My kids are the only kids in the neighborhood who respect wildlife around here. They think the compost piles are for the lizards around the neighborhood and the holly bushes are just for the bees.

• penny1947
    18 years ago

If they are taught about wildlife when they are young and encouraged to plant their own little patch they will love nature and respect wildlife the rest of their lives.

Every year my stepdaught winter sows one container of seeds that are just hers and they always germinate really fast. 2 yrs ago it was sunflowers. They sprouted before mine and grew taller than mine. Last year it was sunflowers and they got even bigger than the year before and then she did marigolds and every single seed germinated. This year we don't know what it is but it is supposed to be a hummingbird plant and it germinated in 4 days and is ready to go out in the garden. She is a natural born gardener at the ripe old age of 8.

Penny

• sarahb1982
    17 years ago

i want some but can not find i want seeds rooting dose anyone have some

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Sarah, coral honeysuckle is just starting to bloom the berries won't be ripe until late summer early fall if the birds don't get them first.

Penny

• LeslieP
    17 years ago

My Planter box is wood and about 5 feet long and 3 feet wide. In the center of the planter are two large beams with lattice in between the beams. Lattice is going across the top of the beams and down to the other side where there is another planter. We have a swing underneath. I think the trumpet vine has never gotten out of control because it is growing in a small confined area.
    Leslie

• sarahb1982
    17 years ago

has any gron this from seeds dose it do good

• sarahb1982
    17 years ago

dose anyon have seeds or rootings that i can have i dont have anything to trad i have looked evey wear for this and can not find it

• sarahb1982
    17 years ago

i want to try one in a haning pot what size should i use

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Sarah
    You cannot grow a honeysuckle vine in a hanging pot. I grew mine in a 5 gallon pot on the ground which is a really big tree size pot and it got over 10ft. tall and grew to the top of my garage. It needs a trellis to grow up not down.

Penny

• sarahb1982
    17 years ago

do you still have it in the pot

• penny1947
    17 years ago

Sarah,
    At the end of the summer I had to take it out of the pot and plant it in the ground because it got too big for the 5 gallon pot and the roots grew out of the holes in the bottom of the pot down into the ground. I actually had to break the main root and cut it all the way back to about 6 inches to get it out of the pot. It is growing in the ground now and is already about 4 feet tall so far and still growing. It can be kept in a large pot but it would need one the size of a large tub to keep it in there for a long time.

Penny

• lynette_grower
    15 years ago

I was wanting to know if I can get starts of honeysuckle from cuttings?? Because a friend of mine is wanting some starts off my honeysuckle.
    Lynette It is starting to bloom already.

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

Yes, I have taken a cutting from new growth in a pot. I put saran wrap around the pot and make sure nothing touches the leaves. I heard that you can also root a cutting by anchoring a growth to the ground and when it roots separate it from the mother plant.

greenhummer-- If you are still around I loved the photo of your honeysuckle in the the planter, lots of flowers. What kind of support did you use for the vine? And what kind of soil.

• greenhummer
    15 years ago

Hummersteve I used a rebar painted green. This year I removed the rebar now that the main trunk is supporting itself. I used a good top soil mix,sand,peatmoss. I also have a yellow flowered plant of the same family that will be blooming in a week or so. Maybe I can post a picture if anyone is interested.

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Yes, a picture would be great--both of how the original is doing and the new yellow one!

• greenhummer
    15 years ago

Ok here goes... The honeysuckles are just opening up. They will need 2 to 3 weeks before they go blooming crazy. The aphids have to be kept in check. Their the only pest I have on the reds and haven't seen any on the yelows.

Here is a couple of the yellows that I'm growing from starters.

• penny1947
    15 years ago

Very nicely done!

Penny

• lovefornature
    15 years ago

Great setup greenhummer!!!

What kind of plants do you have growing near your honeysuckle and what kind is it? I just purchased a John Clayton which is yellow.

I noticed that you did not have a trellis for one of your honeysuckles. I thought they all needed a trellis. How are you getting it to grow without a trellis?

• greenhummer
    15 years ago

Thanks Penny...... lovefornature the yellows are John Clayton in my nursery. Vines can be trained to support themselves by pruning. The other plants in the picture are bay leaf,lemon tyme,minature lavendar,chives,parsley,etc. Growing vines on a trellis or tree form is just personal preference. As an example here is a wisteria that I trained as a tree.....just get out there and be creative.

• lovefornature
    15 years ago

Greenhummer, you are absolutely amazing!!! The Wisteria is beautiful. I don't think I could be that creative, don't have the garden experience yet.

I bet your whole garden looks stunning. :)

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

OK I have a couple dumb questions I guess. I have one coral honeysuckle growing on a small wooden trellis and yard light. By the way your plants are gorgeous. It appears that you do not use supports. I have taken some cuttings and they are doing pretty well. So do you suggest staking or a support or do you just do some pruning to keep them from being ragged and mine is now. Do you suggest full sun if possible.

• greenhummer
    15 years ago

I've been away for a while, the vines will need support for the first three years if they are stand alones. And
    pruning only after the second year. Full sun is best but partial sun will be just fine. The first couple of years are used to establish a good root system and a strong leader with heavy growth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning vines

• hummersteve
    9 years ago

As far as pruning goes it doesnt seem to matter do whatever you like.

I just wanted to add as far as honeysuckle goes I started 6 cuttings from coral honeysuckle in the fall and now am growing them inside till spring. Never tried cuttings before from honeysuckle at least none that rooted. I guess I will keep pinching them to keep them small as I have nothing for them to grow on inside.

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

Just found this

My coral honeysuckle came with us from SE Texas. A native there. We live

On the side of Mt Taylor in NM, zone 5. My ch does well here. Hammers

Really love it.

Jo

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions