Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbzeee

Making Humming bird Nectar

barbzeee
15 years ago

When you make up this solution of 4:1 Organic Sugar and Water how long can you keep it in the frig... for when I leave Florida I want to make up some nectar so that my housekeeper can change the feeder and put in fresh nectar.. Of course I've bought enough Sugar ..LOL don't want them to go with out..I'm hooked can ya tell..even bought a few feeders just in case... but hopefully when I get to Pa I'll be able to put up a feeder too and enjoy those that have come to the North..

I had to go out and buy the Organic sugar this afternoon as I went from the Red Stuff to White sugar ..that's all I had..and now I'm on to the real Mc Coy...hopefully..

Look forward to reading as you all post

God Bless

BarbZeee

Comments (7)

• donnalovesblue
    15 years ago

BarbZeee...Here's what I've been doing for many years and it works for me and the hummers. You can either boil the water or microwave it. Add the sugar and let it sit long enough for the sugar to melt. It should keep in the fridge for a least a week. (BTW, I have never used organic sugar). Make sure your housekeeper cleans the feeder before filling.

Yes, we're all hooked on these little creatures and I'm sure you'll have them to enjoy back in PA.

Donna

• rob_a
    15 years ago

Barb, I don't boil the water, but I do have a filter on my kitchen facet to remove chlorine and other unpleasant tasting chemicals.
    The water I use for nectar tastes good to me, and my hummers. We are all healthy.
    Rob

• donnalovesblue
    15 years ago

Good advice, Rob! I agree with you.

• barbzeee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Donna, Rob...Thank goodness.. I thought omg if I have to get anything else..I'll be spent..LOL well almost.. I have to tell you my little guy..ring around the collar and red throat..has hit that feeder a lot today..this evening from 5:30pm till 7:15 pm..he was busy.. I mean to tell ya.. I couldn't believe how many times he came back and went around each little opening.. I watch too..well me and my critters.(dogs) sat in the window and as soon as I went for my camera ..like a flash he was color me gone ! but I'm trying to keep a log as to when he comes..so I can be ready for him...Now I've only noticed one...but thrilled with just that.. and I've called everyone I know... and had them all laughing..I've become a hummingbird watcher..along with what ever else comes in my garden....and to think I only have a few more weeks and I head North......Oh, and I named him too.. I know losing it here..but I call him Harry as in Houdini..he disappears so quickly... now looking forward to tomorrow..and by the way Donna..glad to hear white sugar is ok too... gosh thinking did I shorten his life.. I mean started with RED STUFF then on to WHITE STUFF LOL... I want you all to know I have my neighbors hiding when they see me... I just can't wait to tell them the good news !!!!

Ok, bent your eyes...Yes, I did clean the feeder tonight and already put it out for the morning. as it was already 4 days old and we've had some really warm days..

He'll be happy that's for sure...

Have a great evening all and look forward to reading from all of you

God Bless
    BarbZeee

• nanaboo
    15 years ago

BarbZee, I had 2 regular hummers last year at my window feeder. My grandchildren named them "Joe" and "Sugar" They had so much enjoyment watching them from the kitchen window. I called the grandchildren today to say Joe was back, with several friends, so they must come visit me with more names!

• ctnchpr
    15 years ago

Barbzeee,

Is your organic sugar pure white like table sugar, or does it have a hint of color such as tan, brown, or caramel?

• marilyn_fl
    15 years ago

I wish my little hummer would come to my feeder. I have 2 different feeders and it will not come to either one. Don't have a clue why. I keep the nectar changed regularly but for some reason it doesn't use the feeder. Come to think of it I haven't seen it for a while either.

Sponsored
More Discussions