Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnalovesblue

Do You Have Any Yet??

donnalovesblue
15 years ago

The migration map shows hummer sightings in my area and even north and northeast of me, but I've not laid eyes on a single one...DARNIT!!! I'm in east central MS. Do you have any at your feeders? If so, I'm going to be soooooo jealous!

Donna

Comments (17)

• mimidi
    15 years ago

Donna they are all around me too but I have not seen one. From what I see on the map they could be all around me and just not checked in with me yet.

I am in southeast Alabama. The very corner.

• treegirl48
    15 years ago

Donna, I'm about 50 miles N of the MS Coast near the Ala line. Haven't seen on yet, but surely any day. I've looked at the map and wondered too why I havent seen any. Will let you know when I do!!

• mimidi
    15 years ago

O. K. Good luck. I am looking. I know they have to be around both of us.

• rob_a
    15 years ago

I've been watching the sighting map to. There have been sightings in my area (south texas) and even three hundred miles north of me, but so far no hummers at my feeders yet.
    Does the cold front we've had drive them back south, or do they tough it out and stay?
    I didn't have hummers until the last week of March last year.
    Rob

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rob, I spotted my first last season on 3/22, but when I saw the migration map, I was just sure at least one would show up before now...I still haven't seen one. Usually the first to appear will take a quick sip and fly away..not the feeding frenzy we see later in the season. Maybe there has been one at the feeder and I missed it. I won't start getting impatient until 3/23!!! LOL!

Donna

• mimidi
    15 years ago

I have one now. About an hour ago he checked in and has been around ever since. I just love hearing those wings.

• rob_a
    15 years ago

Donna, you had me laughing. We will count down the days to 3/23. But I'm sure you'll have hummers before then.

Mimi, that's great news. Keep us up to date on your hummbers. I'm envious, but happy for you.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting... and waiting...
    Rob

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

....waiting and waiting and waiting...I did send contrats to Mimi, btw. Rob, let us know when you have your first visitor, too. I'll be really jealous, but let us know anyway!

Donna

• aprice9066
    15 years ago

I live in columbus ohio. I never get a bird until the beginning or middle of may, but I always see that there are birds in our area as early as begimming April. Who gets the early birds? Are they wooded areas, or just a chance arrival?

• rob_a
    15 years ago

I was surprised to see two hummers today at my feeders. This is a week early for me.
    One a male, the other I didn't get a good look at, but was smaller. Hopefully they will stay in my area in San Antonio for a while.
    Rob

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OK Rob, you're kidding me, right???? Now I'm in the frustration mode for sure. I'm just hoping one has popped up at the feeder and I missed it! Those little buggers better hurry up!

Donna

• rob_a
    15 years ago

Donna, your first hummer is going to show up tomorrow!I promise.
    Just got home from work. One of the two I saw at lunch is still her, haven't seen the other one. The one here now is so thin he looks like he just flew in from Bolivia. He loves the feeder, and is ignoring the blooms.
    Everyone at my work that has feeders is seeing hummers now. Mostly Black Chinned males.
    Rob

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rob, I'm holding you to that promise! If I don't see one tomorrow, you better send me YOURS!!! LOL!

Donna

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

Hey Guys--- Up here in Indy I usually dont see one untill early may, the earliest being 4-27. On the migration map I will see them posted all around me and I still wont have any. But this year with the nice weather Im hoping for an early arrival.

• donnalovesblue
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hummersteve, I now have three..HeHe!!!! Another male and a female joined my other male, several days ago. The first arrived a little earlier this year, so be on the lookout! The first male is already guarding a feeder, so I put up two more out of sight of the first one. Now they each have a feeder of their own! I didn't realize they got so possessive this early in the season.

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

Way to go Donna! You are the man,, hehe! I was actually thinking of putting up a feeder, we are supposed to get snow showers tonight so I will wait till it warms back up again.

• barbzeee
    15 years ago

Donna, you are lucky..I still only have the one male and finally he came back for a drink this afternoon...but this morning he went and took nectar from my roses... I caught the little darling after our big rain storm... I even went out last night and took the feeder down ..was afraid the wind was gonna throw it some where...and first thing after the rain I put it back up...he whizzed on by me..and then was color me gone... I'm trying to get his times down so I can watch for him..and sure hope before I head back up to Pa I'll see a family...

God Bless

BarbZeee.. Oh, but I made sure being the responsible owner..LOL that he will be taken care of ..even bought organic sugar :)