Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbzeee

My Hummers were thirsty :)

barbzeee
15 years ago

I have to tell you all..this morning well last night I put the clean feeder out with 8 oz of Nectar...and at 7:15am this morning I had my first visit...yep and then from then on it was constant...Unreal..but you all have to know how thrilled I was...well went out shopping at 11:30am got back around 3:00pm and a few were on my feeder...Now it's 5:oopm and I looked out and omg !!! those hummers were hungry there's about maybe 1 oz left in the feeder...sooooo that means my nectar passed the test and uh hum.. have to put a clean feeder out tonight with another batch of home brew..( sugar, water and tender loving care) Thanks all...but I think I'm getting the picture here...lots of work ...and lots of sugar...LOL

I don't want to fill more than that as I'm afraid it will go to waste with the heat and me dumping it in 3 days..so I'd rather have the jug empty..:)

Oh, I'm so thrilled..but I haven't see a lot together yet..just they keep coming a female and a male..not even sure if they are the only ones but it sure is frequent..

God Bless

BarbZeee...buzzzzing herself...they will be keeping me busy...

Comments (7)

• vickilovesboxers
    15 years ago

I am so happy for you Barb -
    this is a wonderful and relaxing hobby to have and is so good for the birds.
    I can really feel my blood pressure go down and the stress ooze away when I watch and appreciate God's wonderful creation-especially His Ruby Throated Hummingbirds!

• sudimari
    15 years ago

Barb,
    Don't know how large your feeder is. An alternative is buy another and find a place to hang it someplace else in the garden.

I always make a double batch of nectar (of course I boil it briefly since both my feeders are direct sun). I let it cool completely then pour it into a plastic jug or pitcher with a cover. Fill the feeders and refrigerate the rest. Then when I need to refill or empty I set the jug out to get warm as I clean the feeder. That way I can make nectar every 10 days or so rather than daily or every other.

Also they have clear plastic suction cup birdfeeder hangers available that go directly on your window...will easily hold a hummer feeder. I have one on my window outside the computer desk so I can see them while I work!

Suz

• somegeek
    15 years ago

Very nice results there! My two feeders take about 3-4 days to empty and they're only 8oz. Get get Anna and Rufous hummingbirds. Can't imagine the 'hummer-storm' you have at your 8oz feeder. :-)

sudimari - why do you need to boil your nectar due to direct sun exposure?

somegeek

• solstice98
    15 years ago

Here in Florida if the nectar isn't sterilized by boiling it can get cloudy within 24 hours. Hot, humid, etc. Everything grows in it and around it! It was so much work that I've given up using feeders and now just put in plants they like.

• barbzeee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Solstice, I do boil my water in the microwave..makes it easy and I make up a 4 cup batch which I have to tell you that I've used half up already... It must have been a traffic jam here..cause I had an abundance of hummers..and now I have one Head Turd..who seems to direct traffic.. I have to tell you all.. I am so enjoying this and in 3 weeks I'll be heading back to Philly..ready to put a feeder up as they should be hitting my area in May..so I'll work it one way or another...My housekeeper came over today and she is going to enjoy this...(I hope) but she is use to having them where she was before she came to live in Florida..

Next Oct when I come back I'll start getting more plants as I just bought the star Jasmine..and will be planting that...

It's very easy to get hooked..but gosh you have to be prepared to work for these darlings..

Evening time I get a hurry get the last drink in..now I don't get all at the same time ..which I'm so anxious to see but every 10 to 15 minutes I have them fly in... I've only seen the female maybe once or twice during the day...but mostly males...

Sudimari, my feeder will hold 32 oz easily but living here in Florida I'm sure it would go to waste quickly...I don't mind changing the feeder as I have a few but just didn't put them up... not yet..so when I bring one in for cleaning the fresh one is left hanging...can ya tell I'm use to production without interuption LOL

God Bless

BarbZeee and her critters..

• sudimari
    15 years ago

BarbZeee,

If you are boiling the water then you are fine.

I just prefer to use the stove top (probably because I don't have any containers large enough to boil that much in the microwave). I bring the water to a boil, add the sugar and allow it to boil for another minute then remove it from the heat. Just to keep it from fermenting or molding/mildewing from the hot direct sun. I also have serious fatigue issues so I can't change daily, so I feel safer this way.

I usually boil about 8 1/4 cups of water to allow for boil off because I bring it to a really strong, hard boil and often get distracted by other things while its heating. Then I add 2 cups of sugar. I think I only boil for the minute or so afterwards because its easier to make sure the sugar is completely disolved and distributed. I'm not using organic sugar (of course on my budget I'm not much into organic), but since the only thing I use sugar for (since I'm diabetic) is the hummers and butterfly feeders maybe when I need more I'll check it out.

I allow it to cool completely then pour it into a plastic rubbermaid pitcher type container, so its easy to pour into the feeders and stores easily in the door of my fridge.

Blessings! Enjoy those hummers!
    Suz

• barbzeee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sudimari,

I do mine in the microwave I have a 4 cup pyrex and sure does make like easy..but I also learned..not to pour the sugar right in.. I put a little in first as it will bubble up...then I add the rest stir and sit on the counter... I saved my jelly jars (Smuckers) and that's what I fill the syrup in..and put on the frig door..perfect amount to fill each feeder..8 oz each as changing them you waste..Me too as far as staying with a budget.. Organic sugar is costly..and I'll more than likely when this bag if finish go back to white sugar as from what I've read..it's what most do...even the people that write the books..:) So can't really go wrong..

I just put a fresh feeder out this morning so I'm anxious to see how they re act..they are pretty smart..and lately I have the ones that kind of stay on the perch more and take a good drink... I still can't seem to get several at the feeder at the same time..not yet anyway..

Thanks all

God Bless

BarbZeee

Sponsored
More Discussions