Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbzeee

What do you do with the Feeders when it Rains ?

barbzeee
15 years ago

Ok, I knew there would be more questions... :)

What may I ask do you do when you have those rain storms..do you bring the feeders in ? I have to tell you we had a down pour and I only have the one feeder so I brought it in the car port as I was afraid the wind and all would blow it away.. and also how much rain can get in these feeders ???

Just curious..as I might as well get all the nitty gritty I can... You know have to leave those instructions on what to do..Just in case

God Bless

BarbZeee

Comments (10)

• trudyjean82
    15 years ago

I leave mine out, I haven't noticed rain getting into the feeders. But I have noticed that when the down pour slows down the hummers are out an feeding. They love the overcast an drizzly kinda weather here anyways.

• nanaboo
    15 years ago

Last year, when Hurricane Gustav hit Baton Rouge, Louisiana (80 mph wind), I did not remove my feeder. The hummers loved it! I have a window suction feeder, and I was able to watch the hummer feed and remain on the perch during the storm. It was amazing to watch. I regret I did not get a picture
    Nana

• nanaboo
    15 years ago

BarbZee
    I DO have a digital picture of the hummer feeding during Hurricane Gustav last year. It is not real clear, but I could e-mail it to you, if you are interested. Please reply to my e-mail address (found on "my page") Thanks. Nanaboo

• barbzeee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, yesterday with our rain here in Florida... I had several come and drink .. My feeder is partly under the awning of the house ..part in and part out..and they came to the side under the house..smart little darlings...

Nana, I emailed you.. anxious to see your pictures.. I've taken a couple mine came out blurred but I'm working on it now having to figure how to post them...

God Bless
    BarbZeee

• LeslieAnne_westTX
    15 years ago

Rain?.. what's that?..
    Seriously, I've never brought my feeders in when it was raining, not enough can get through those tiny holes to do much diluting...

No such thing as too many questions... glad you're so interested...

LeslieAnne...
    on the DRY Llano Estancado in West Texas...

• rob_a
    15 years ago

I doesn't rain at LLano Estancado!!? We get lots of rain at Mission de San Antonio. Year before last I think, can't remember the last storm.

In spite of the drouth, we have an abundance of hummers here, mostly Black Chinned. What about your area?

Rob

• barbzeee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rob, Here is Florida..I see the ruby throat .. I guess that's what ya call them..and I'm learning all the others.. I see the difference between male and female.. the green on the male is really beautiful..white ring around neck... everytime I see him I get that commercial in my mind...Ring around the collar..LOL yep I put a little humor in with my hummers...

God Bless
    BarbZeee

• LeslieAnne_westTX
    15 years ago

We get mostly black-chinneds here too, but I haven't seen one yet this year...

Our official average annual rainfall is 18", but I've rarely seen that much since I moved here 15 years ago... btw, "here" is near Lubbock... Llano Estancado (Spanish for "plain of many lakes") is another name for the Southern High Plains, & so named because of the more than 20,000 playas in the area... some folks call it Llano Estacado (without the "n"), meaning "staked plains", but I don't buy that... I think Coronado needed a proofreader...

LeslieAnne...
    on the Llano...

• hummersteve
    15 years ago

My hummers seem to love feeding and fliting about in the rain , unless its a downpour. And especially when its been hot, I also sometimes run a mister over my flower garden and often see them playing that mist.

• tn-blue
    15 years ago

I have a wire that's used in laying concrete around the edge of my shed roof & back stoop. Also, heavy hooks in lots of places out of the rain. I move shepherd crooks to places out of the wind, and we're sure having wind, now, in West Tennessee! However, they just love a normal rain, and come to the feeders in swarms at those times for some reason. Maybe the flower nectar is watered down during a rain.

I've seen hummers fairly latching on feeders that are blowing more sideways than hanging down, but I still worry about the little buggers.

Your old faithful's will claim the same feeding spot each year, but try to have more than one feeder out in a peaceful spot case of bad weather.