Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_fl

Why does she do it?

marilyn_fl
14 years ago

I was just wondering why the female hummer keeps chasing the male hummer from the feeders? There only the 2 of them and I have a feeder for each. If the male happens to get to a feeder and the female flys in and sees him she chases him away.

Comments (7)

• love_savannah
    14 years ago

I don't know the answer but I've asked myself that question many times over the years. We have 3 feeders that are in different locations around our yard. I've watched hummingbirds fly up into a tree and sit there to guard their feeder. They couldn't possibly be thirsty anymore, however; they sit on a branch and keep a close watch, ready to defend if there are other visitors.

What amazes me is that I've seen pictures on the web of 20 to 30 hummingbirds together at feeders. It blew my mind! That would never happen in my yard. Each hummingbird stakes a claim on the feeder they visit. It's closed to other visitors when that particular hummer is around. My eyes aren't good enough to tell the difference from male or female. (Guess I'm getting old!) LOL

Interesting question...hope somebody has the answer.

• mboston_gw
    14 years ago

Doreen(bander from SC) told me that up north there are so many that they can't be terroritoral, just have to share the feeders. Here, we have so few that they can be territorial. My male hummer chases away any other males but generally allows the females to feed. HOWEVER, today I watched him chase away the immature one that I believe is a female all day long. She is just now getting green on her back. Maybe he was confused about her and now he's thinking shes a he! I have 5 feeders and he protects the 3 that are on "HIS" side of the yard.

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Pretty much the same as what has been said. Hummers are naturally territorial and when there is just a few its easy to do but when there are many it is fruitless and besides if they do they wont get to eat. So therefore if there are 15 or 20 hummers around most likely they will share because they have no other choice.

• rob_a
    14 years ago

I can't spread my feeders out enough to avoid one hummer trying to dominate. I have a fourteen foot balcony. But last summer I had enough hummers that when the dominant one was chasing one away, two more would fly in behind him and enjoy the feeders till he got back. LOL Fun to watch. He spent more time chasing the others than feeding.

• bloomingplantlover
    14 years ago

Although the ones in my back yard fight all the time the hummers over at one of my friend's parent's country home all sit around on the 4( or more) extra long wires that extend out from each of the three feeders. That's four or five hummer sitting in line on the wires for each feeder. He said that it happens mostly at night. I still can't quite believe I witnessed this good behavior.

• chescobob
    14 years ago

I have around 3 to 5 hummers at the feeder during the year.

A male comes, stakes his claim, and flies into the same spot in a tree each year. When a potential mate comes to feed, he may let her feed, and he will come to sit on the feeder holder. If the female goes into the adjacent weigela bushes, he will do his "Us" above her to see if she is interested.

Generally, the Boss male is away much of the day and the others can feed then.

• kimcoco
    14 years ago

I'm jealous. I've never seen more than 1 hummer in my yard at a time. Just put my feeder out, though I'm not sure if I'm ahead of myself.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions