Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help

Posted by michael1846 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 17:48

I want hummers in the garden this year. I love birds! From what i understand they like red plants that have trumpet-ey flowers. What are some good plants for them? I will get a butterfly bush and i have bought snapdragons and petunias for them. What are some good plants?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help

Welcome Michael. Bee balm (monarda) is an excellent hummer plant, it's perennial and can be used for teas as well. If you have the room for a large vine, hummers love trumpet vine and honeysuckle.
Rhonda

o

Thanks ill have to think if i have a place my humming bird feeder exploded...so ya...im going to try to get them with plants :)

o

They like Saliva guaranitica, which includes the well-known 'Black & Blue' cultivar, and turk's cap/Malvaviscus drummondii the most down here. The tops of both these plants die back in the winter, but return faithfully each spring.

Sherry

o

Thanks!

o

My hummers love my golden dew drop plant.

o

In my opinion snapdragons and petunias are not good hummingbird plants, try these-- there are many other good ones but these are nice staples to get started.

Any salvia greggii
salvia lady in red, black and blue , blue ensign, salvia oxyphora
cardinal flower [lobelia cardinalis]
coral honeysuckle vine
bee balm
cuphea david verity

o

I planted lots of hummer friendly plants last year and by August I had swarms of them. I also had a Rufous drop by for 2 days in August which isn't normal for Southern Virginia.

Black and Blue Salvia
Maraschino Salvia
Gartenmeister Bonstedt
Lady in Red Salvia
Bee Balm Jacob Cline
Beardstongue
Foxglove
Pineapple Sage
Mexican Bush Sage
They also love a shrub I've had for years "Abelia" it has white tubular flowers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here