Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Siting in Plymouth, Massachusetts

Posted by janniel seGA (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 07 at 19:13

I am very curious if any of you have visited this site. I almost missed it before I left. I guess there is hope for all up north. I believe Kristin_Williams gave the address for the site:

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/maps/spring2007.html?layers=hbird_ruby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Siting in Plymouth, Massachusetts

It looks like this was a bird that got confused and never went south, rather than an incredibly early northward migrant.

What puzzles me about the picture, though, is that I think it was supposed to have been taken in December or January, but it seems like there are deciduous leaves in the background. Or are they pine needles? What's up with that?

o
RE: Siting in Plymouth, Massachusetts

I can't imagine any migrant would be flying into the late winter we are having up here? It does sound a little odd. We don't see migrants in southern New England usually til mid April.

I'll believe anything though. 4 or 5 years ago, we had a Rufous Hummingbird at our feeder in late November during a snowstorm. Rufous do not generally live in our region! I have the photo to prove he was here though :-)

I think the photo is just a stock photo of a ruby-throat hummingbird they put on all those maps. I don't think it's a photo of the Plymouth hummer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here