Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coolaces

feeder

coolaces
13 years ago

hi guys my wife bought me a new feeder called NECTAR GEM,anyone familiar with this.it has vitamins and other stuff in it.it looks like a plastic pouch with a perch on it.wondering if i should return it?

Comments (10)

• eigdeh
    13 years ago

Just a warning to everyone. I googled nectargem and the site with the name above ending with .com gave me a warning when it opened on my computer from Norton as being unsafe in 6 ways. Not sure what they might be, but I closed it quickly. LOL

I would say return it, not because of the unsafe site, but because of the red dye and all the extras that they added in. Tell your wife that you would rather have a feeder as it is not disposable like this feeder is and that you want to look at the feeder all summer and think of her. :c) It is also cheaper to make your own sugar water.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

I can't find where the solution contains a dye, and it seems they describe the bag as "Economical for single use yet durable for multiple uses" so it can be washed and reused.

As for the added vitamins and calcium, I don't know how important. If I could have found a nectar product similar locally this winter I would have tried it for my overwintering three, I had nothing to offer them in harsh conditions other than sugar/water.

It's probably up to you, if you think returning might hurt feelings, try it. No more than they cost, if it doesn't work out or attract hummers you wife could then see for herself there might be a better choice rather than you telling her that ;)

They've been available a while now, I don't find bad reviews at least.

• eigdeh
    13 years ago

okay.. I got the wrong impression about this feeder for some reason, perhaps it was the Norton warning and the quick closing of the site. For some reason I thought it was a prefilled single use clear feeder with red liquid.

Feeder states that the liquid has calcium and that females nest close to calcium sources.

Does the fact that the feeder, if filled properly, will be void of any oxygen really guarantee that no mold will form in the feeder? Will it allow longer periods between cleanings even in hot temperatures? Could be interesting if it will.

Since it is hard to see in the bag I wonder how hard it would be to clean?

• coolaces
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks guys,i have 6 regular feeders.i have been here for years but havent heard anything on these feeders.my neihgbor had a feeder similar to this 1 and i did see hummers going to it.but i know for a fact she doesnt clean her feeders often enough. i think i'll give it a try and set it next to 1 of the regular feeders and see what happens.

• eigdeh
    13 years ago

Let us know how it goes! If it is good perhaps I will get one too.

It states that the port somehow acts as an ant moat, is there a physical moat there?

• coolaces
    Original Author
    13 years ago

i will let u know eigdeh. no moat that i can see.what i do for ants, and this has worked for years.i put a ring of vasoline around what ever i have the feeder hanging from.a shepards hook,maybe 2 inches from the ground aring all the way around and about a half inch in diameter.same with a wire or tree branch. no ants.

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

I saw these at rural king a few days ago or something just like them. To me its just another gimmic to make a buck. Since I do not know whats in these things or how in the world to clean them its something I would never buy. I keep my feeders clean and mold and fungus free. I know whats going into my feeders. Hummers do just fine with what nature provides for them they dont need manmade gimmics or additives , they will find what they need in the wild. What we give them in our feeders is just a little quick energy to go find the nectar and bugs that they need. No red dye or colors or additives are needed and should not be put in the feeders. Just sugar and water
    4:1 ratio works fine.

• coolaces
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hi steve, i agree with u ,but my wife bought this for my bd,so i will give it a try and see what happens

• ctnchpr
    13 years ago

coolaces, I agree with Steve, but......women are kinda' sensitive about gifts. You're smart to give it a try. (Not trying to start anything here, ladies...)

• coolaces
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hi ctnchpr, i was hoping with everyone on this site that someone had tried this feeder before,lol;i only use sugar water but will try this 1 when i get hummers staying around here to see what they prefer.will let everyone know

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions