Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rob_a_gw

For those in Apartments

rob_a
15 years ago

I'm in a large apartment complex, third floor, with an unmowed field and Mesquite trees across the parking lot.

For those of you in apartments, you may have some competition with other folks with feeders. Not to worry, they will make the rounds to all the feeders, including yours.

I would suggest some flowering plants in pots, on your balcony to attract them. I have salvia extending out from my balcony, loaded with with pink and red blooms. I think it's like a beacon. How far can a hummer see attractive blooms? Fifty yards? More?

My hummers often go to the blooms first then to the feeders.

Rob

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Kaveh Maguire Garden Design
    15 years ago

Saw my first hummer today at my new 4th floor balcony garden. Went to the red salvia first but then pretty much went down the row and checked out all the plants.

I think I will be getting a feeder and adding more hummingbird friendly plants for sure.

• rob_a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

All the way up to the forth floor! I'm on the third floor here. Makes you wonder how high they will go, looking for food.
    This year I added blooming vines in pots. Just going to let them grow over the sides and hang down(until the neighbors complain). Balboa Sunset Trumpet vine and Coral Honeysuckle. My honeysuckle is blooming and is a hummer magnet.
    Enjoy your hummer season.

• PRO
    15 years ago

Well when mine left it kept flying up in the air pretty high and I have seen them go straight up to the top of tall trees. Mine was back today. I was moving some pots around and heard a buzzing and looked up and she was right in my face. Stared at me for a second and then zipped off.

• penny1947
    15 years ago

There is a person in the Philadelphia area that I believe lives on the 18th floor of a high rise that has hummers visiting her balcony garden all summer long. She grows salvias, honeysuckle, weigelia, lilacs and lots more.

Penny

• rob_a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, eighteen floors up! They must be exhausted when they get up there, but that answers anyone's concerns about having feeders up high on apartment balconys.

I too have a variety of Salvia, a Coral Honeysuckle, and a new Trumpet vine that hasn't bloomed yet. The hummers are more comfortable at the blooms on stems protruding outside the balcony railing. The're easier to get to I guess.

• PRO
    15 years ago

Finally got a picture of mine on my 4th floor balcony.

{{gwi:542105}}

Anyone know what type it is? Santa Monica about 6 blocks from the beach. Not sure what types we get here I should go look it up.

• rob_a
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice picture, he was busy! Nice healthy looking Salvia to. I enjoy pictures of hummers at the blooms.
    You guys in Calif have a whole different bunch of hummers from the rest of us. But there are members here from Calif, maybe they can help you identify it.
    Rob

• laurmela
    15 years ago

Looks like an Allens', notice the rufous on the underside!

Good job! Usually we have Anna's here in abundance, they are the ones with the red/fushia gorget. But I also have black chinned, Rufous, and Costa's and even saw a Calliope once! I am south of you in So Orange County.

Have fun!

Laura