Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnet for Hummers ?

Posted by justayoungroot z8Stephenville Tx (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 07 at 21:06

I came across this Plant the other day it's name is Clementine Salman Rose. It said it is a magnet for butterflies and hummer's. Anyone with any Info. about this plant?

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Clementine Salmon Rose'

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnet for Hummers ?

It is a columbine but I have never had a hummer use any of the hybrid columbines. Here they will use the Aquilegia canadaensis. Aquilegia Chrysantha (Hinckley's Columbine) and Aquilegia canadensis are both native to Texas. They may use that plant but I would stick with the native columbine if at all possible. Also columbines tend to hybridize very very easily. If you want to keep the species pure you will have to plant them in different locations far away from one another.

Penny

o
RE: Magnet for Hummers ?

The picture of the flower makes me thing the flowers are double. In that case, they probably won't be very attractive to Hummingbirds or butterflies since the nectaries in the spurs of the flowers will be difficult for them to reach. If you plant columbines, go for the single flowered species as I believe Penny stated above.

BN

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here