Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pinkzinnia

Any sightings in San Antonio, TX?

pinkzinnia
17 years ago

Has anyone in San Antonio had any hummingbirds visit them yet? I saw a dot for SA on the migration maps, but wondered if anyone posting on this board had any yet. Mine are late. I usually see them around 3/11...now it's the 21st and I haven't seen even one :(

Comments (17)

• tess_tx
    17 years ago

I saw my first female in Austin, TX last night the males have been around about a week or so...I would assume they would get to San Antonio first? I guess it would depend on which route they took. Sorry, guess this isn't that helpful!

• penny1947
    17 years ago

My ex hasn't seen the return of his yet either and he is just outside S.A. in Floresville. He usually lets me know when his return.

Penny

• pinkzinnia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tess I'm SO JEALOUS! Heehee - can't wait for mine to come back. Thanks Penny, that makes me feel better.

I get mostly black-chinned hummers, and those come up from SW Mexico, so maybe all the storms we had recently caused the delay...

• pinkzinnia
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Tess I'm SO JEALOUS! Heehee - can't wait for mine to come back. Thanks Penny, that makes me feel better.

I get mostly black-chinned hummers, and those come up from SW Mexico, so maybe all the storms we had recently caused the delay...

• tess_tx
    17 years ago

Doesn't the waiting stink!

I've noticed an upturn in the number of wild flowers blooming in the past few days so hopefully that's a sign of good things to come. We normally have tons more than I've seen so maybe the bulk of them are just waiting for the sun to come back...I know I sure am! :-)

• kristin_williams
    17 years ago

Last year, the first were reported in our area on April 14th. I didn't see my first, a male, until May 2nd! I went on to have at least one regular adult female (maybe more) and babies by midsummer.

I've found that you do have to keep those first reports in perspective. They are FIRST reports, and the peak of migration in terms of numbers of birds arriving is easily a week or two after that. So far, I don't think they're late, maybe just average. Now if I were in Texas and another 2 weeks went by, then maybe I'd start to wonder.

By the way, if you lived in western Pennsylvania, you'd really learn what frustration is. You'd have to watch them go up the Mississippi and actually reach points farther north than us before they ever get here. If it's like last year (and I think it will be), one group will head up the Mississippi valley and only then gradually start working their way east across Indiana, Ohio, and finally into western Pennsylvania and northern West Virginia. Others will go up the east coast and reach Philadelphia and New York City before getting here. Our location just west of the Appalachians means that we don't get the eastern migrants, and the Mississippi migrants have to come way east to get to us. This takes extra time and it seems we're one of the last cities at our latitude to get birds. It's really hard to take.

I thought I was gonna die from waiting last year, so I can definitely relate to your angst. So, if it gets to be April 30th, and I'm sitting here in Pittsburgh wondering where my little hummers are, please promise me you'll be sympathetic and say comforting things like "They'll be there any day now, Kristin, hang in there. We were worried too, but they came." If they're not here by May 15th, I'm going to need therapy for depression and anxiety!

• tess_tx
    17 years ago

We promise Kristin!

• mnktx
    17 years ago

We've had the black-chinned in NC SA for the past week and a half or so. We had an 8 count last night around 7:45ish. I was able to catch a couple shots of them. They come and go throught the day every 10-15 minutes but are very active at dusk.

Enjoy
    Marc

{{gwi:979359}}

{{gwi:979362}}

• tlwyo52
    17 years ago

I have had 3 males and 2 females now for over a week. I am in Spring Branch Texas. Can't wait to have more. BTW, hello to everyone I am new to this forum. :)

• gkel
    13 years ago

We live Southeast of San Antonio, between La Vernia and Floresville.
    We had our first female appear about 10 days ago. Today I had a second female at the feeders.

• davidchades_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I Know there nesting ground in s.a.

• rdblum1_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

We moved from the east where the hummingbirds were rampant, husband is putting up hummingbird feeder here in San Antonio...is he fooling himself or do these birds come this way?

• linda_tx8
    13 years ago

They always show up where I live (in Medina Co.) while the Carolina Jessamine is blooming, as far as I recall. The last few blooms of that will soon be gone and I haven't seen any hummingbirds at all. The butterflies, however, were all over the blooms...until the cold front. Since then many of them are gone. I am worried about the hummies!

• castle_candyelliott_com
    13 years ago

As a many decades resident of the San Antonio area, it has been my Family standard to always put our freshly cleaned Hummingbird feeders out by St Patricks Day March 17th regardless of weather. Even when we lived 20 miles north of San Antonio we did the same and most certainly would have sightings at these times. This year in the 78230 zip I was two days early and had my first sighting March 16th and have had continual sightings since. Enjoy your species of Hummers!!!

• Laurita75
    11 years ago

@Elliot, I'm also in the 78230 and put up my feeder this Saturday, day before St Patricks. Have you seen any Hummingbirds yet?

• texasmorningglory
    11 years ago

We have five or six here at this time... The crossvine and a few salvias are blooming so I put up a couple of sugar water feeders. I am hoping for a lot more to show up soon. Last year we didn't have a lot of hummers.
    I am about sixty miles west of San Antonio.

• linda_tx8
    11 years ago

A bit late, but they're here! TMG, I'm in the far NE corner of Medina Co. We don't usually have many that stay until fall, since almost nobody around here feeds them. Sure is dry...not many wildflowers in the wild!