Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
weelittlewitch

Hummingbird saucer style feeders

weelittlewitch
13 years ago

I have been looking at the various hummzinger feeders online- they get the best reviews, and seem to do a pretty good job of deterring bees and wasps (my biggest problem). I stumbled on a website that had "Heath Hummingbird Feeder 8 0z saucers" for $3.99 So I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with these, or any saucer style feeders that are cheaper than the hummzingers and keep bees away.

Right now I just have one hummingbird- he's a bully and scares off the couple of other hummingbirds that tried to feed in my yard (behind us is a desert, so he sits at the top of a mesquite and can see everything). I had two hummingbirds last year and would like to attract more. (One sat near the feeder *under* my open porch and would sing all morning- which I learned is rare since they like open areas).

So while I'm busy planting native plants to lure others, I want to get some bee proof feeders for the hummingbirds. And the "Heath" feeder is only $4... I could get a bunch of them instead of ONE hummzinger. I haven't had much luck with any feeders from Lowes, Home Depot, WalMart, etc and so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)

• Colleen E
    13 years ago

I've never found anything that'll completely keep the bees away... that is just such an ongoing problem, and built-in bee guards just don't cut it, really, in my experience. But we have four saucer-style feeders, and they're the style feeder I much prefer. We do have less of a bee problem than we had prior to having these feeders, and maybe that's a coincidence, or maybe it's a sign of something. :) We still get bees here and there in the summer, unfortunately, though, and they're a pest, so the problem hasn't been completely eliminated. I really appreciate that my saucer feeders do not leak like other feeders always did.

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    13 years ago

weelittle, I haven't seen those to examine, but the only drawback I could think of would be if the plastic was a grade that wouldn't hold up to UV exposure or temp changes without getting brittle...and I don't know that they would.

I have a Perky Pet 6 port saucer and the smaller Hummzinger 3 port 8 oz - the jury is still out on whether the second feeder will get my own back yard bully to relax, he's been here all winter and clearly assumes ownership.

But of the saucer type in general, I haven't had a wasp or bee problem at all. Ants either since changing to that style - any other type I've tried has dripped at least a little, leading to ants quickly congregating on my patio or deck. Occasionally when I bring them in to wash/refill, I'll find a tiny insect or two like a gnat inside, but all in all they stay quite clean and problem free.

• Colleen E
    13 years ago

In my experience, if you don't fill the feeders completely full, bees usually won't be able to get to the goods. Miraculously, we no longer have an ant problem-- again, partly because of the feeders not dripping.

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Im not sure even the saucer style even keeps all the bees out. I have the hummzinger excel and holes are larger than they need to be and wasps dont bother it but other smaller insects do get in on occasion. I have other different kinds of feeders that the wasps can go to so they dont care. There are other hummzingers that have inserts but they dont work that well as they fall out.

But on the other question of is there cheaper ones [saucer] types that work I dont have any. But I too am guessing they might not hold up in the sun but then again they might. That cheap would be worth a try.

First Nature came out with a couple new novelty types that I will try this year. The small one $3.99 and the large one about $12

{{gwi:979422}}

this one is a triple decker

{{gwi:979423}}

• natal
    13 years ago

Over the past few years I've switched to all HummZingers. They're worth it in my opinion. No bee problems, super easy to clean, and they retain their color.

• weelittlewitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I actually got the smaller First Nature feeder about two months ago. (After the nectar in my single feeder froze in one of our random cold nights- seeing my only winter hummingbird trying to feed from it made me feel AWFUL, though it was an accident, and I rushed to bring it inside, unfreeze the whole thing and refill it).

Anyway, the bees did seem to congregate around the seams of the first nature feeder, but on the advice of teatree I filled it very low and the bees only seemed interested for about a day. I also got a perky pet glass feeder (because they're on sale at Ace Hardware right now, with the mail in rebate I think they cost a dollar) and I did break down and but a Hummzinger from Amazon.

I've seen the bully chasing another hummingbird, which has yet to feed from any of the feeders (that I've seen anyway), so maybe it's a female and he's courting her?

• weelittlewitch
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, I finally got my hummzinger! And... the hummingbirds turned up their (beaks?) up at it. They really like the perky pet feeder, and I might get another of the first nature feeders since they're so cheap.

Thank you, everyone, for your help and advice!

• hummersteve
    13 years ago

Nottawa wild bird supply is cheaspest and best place to buy feeders from. Plus their service is great . If you dont like a feeder I found no problem in returning it.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville