Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cleanig feeders

Posted by luvofroses So Ut/zone 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 0:39

It has been a long while since I have posted. Today I saw our first hummer for the season,and I was wondering what was the best way to clean the feeders after the winter break. I have in the past just washed them with very hot water but I am sure there is a better way.
Thanks for your help
Ann in So. Ut

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cleanig feeders

I always wash mine with undiluted white vinegar. I do that every time I refill them, not just after the winter, though.

o

I use vinegar, also. It rinses clean very quickly, and doesn't leave a residual smell like chlorine bleach or soaps.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sat, Apr 7, 12 at 16:18

I use hot water with just a few drops of dish soap, use a brush for the feeding ports - every time I refill them all year around. I rinse copiously each time.

o

I use a 2% bleach soak at the end of season and anytime theres a hint of mold. Then rinse them very well with cold water. If there is a bleach residue smell the hummers havent complained nor have their numbers dwindled.

o

Thank you so much for the correct ways to clean. I cleaned mine, all have been filled and put back up for the season. It wasn't too long that we were rewarded with two little new ones for their first drink at our porch.
Ann in So Ut

o

I will add that on regular routine cleaning its hot water with a little dish soap , sponge scrubber, port brush for feeder holes and a good cold rinse.

o

I use dish soap and hot water for my feeders and use the craft wire to clean the ports or any tubing if I use a tube feeder.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here