Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tami58_gw

When are they coming?

tami58
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am planning on planting a hummingbird/butterfly garden this year & am very excited about it. I would like to do what I can to attract the little hummers before I get my plants in, so I want to put a feeder or two out there. My question is, when should I put it out? I know the feeders should be out about 2 weeks or so before actually expecting them to arrive, but I have no idea when that might be. Thanks for your help.

Tami

Comments (36)

• donnas_gw
    14 years ago

They should be coming sometime this month but I'm not sure exactly when. I put 2 feeders out Saturday and haven't seen one yet.

• ctnchpr
    14 years ago

Tami, The link below will give you the Migration map for last year. Maybe you can get a rough estimate from it.

Here is a link that might be useful: 2008 migration map

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Tami, go ahead and get 1 or 2 feeders up. You might have to change the nectar once or twice before you actually spot one, but I bet as soon as the feeder goes up, you'll be surprised when your first visitor arrives.

Donna

• nikonhead
    14 years ago

Just outside of Dallas in Cedar Hill and I have not seen anything. Anyone around me seeing any with any regularity?

• telly2
    14 years ago

I live just outside of Birmingham, AL and saw my first one this morning ! I just put my feeders up yesterday, so I couldn't have been more surprised to see one checking it out ! He didn't stop to drink, just flew up next to it, then flitted away. I agree that you should put up at least one feeder right away because it's been my experience that they have to be up for a little while before you'll see any activity.

• pgreens
    14 years ago

The Hummingbirds are here...saw the first one Saturday..in Sumter County, South Carolina

• donnas_gw
    14 years ago

ctnchpr, thanks for the map. Looks like it will be around the 12th before they come to my area. Still, that's not far away :)

• momonmountain
    14 years ago

Wonderful map! I usually have hummers by April 1 but this year they are no shows. I put a feeder out the last week of March. Hamilton Co. TN

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Don't give up! They'll be there before you know it! You might have already had a visitor and just missed it.

Donna

• hummersteve
    14 years ago

Tami--- It looks like you are in the same zone as I am. Be especially watchfull the last week of this month.

• nannerbelle
    14 years ago

I still haven't seen one and have had a couple of feeders up for a couple of weeks now. I'm going to try to put one up in a really good viewing location today with good fresh nectar. I had so many last year they would drain my feeders in a day!

• tuduloo
    14 years ago

I'm in Florence, SC - put two feeders up Saturday. I don't think it was 2 hours before I saw the first hummingbird! Even though it was cold last night, I saw a couple today. Will be putting more feeders up over the weekend. Time to buy more sugar!

• nannerbelle
    14 years ago

Woo Hoo!! Mine are finally back!! I saw my first one Thursday and they have been around my feeder a good bit today, even had 2 at once!!

• justine_butterbean
    14 years ago

Spotted my first today in southern NC!

• nikonhead
    14 years ago

I saw my first one on 4-11-09 and It was here for only a few minutes. I was in the process of taking down my feeder to clean and refill. I have had several butterflies and hummingbird moths so I knew it would not be long before I saw one. I have had me feeders out for about 3 weeks now and I have noticed the use of them within the last 7-10 days but this was the first sighting.

• purple334
    14 years ago

Hi, I am new to the forum. I live in Auburn Alabama.... they're heeere :)

• ctnchpr
    14 years ago

Welcome to the forum, purple!! If you're a hummernut, you'll find lots of kindred spirits. But, to be a member in good standing, you MUST post photos. We LOVE photos!!!

• purple334
    14 years ago

Thank you. I am such a "hummernut! Its amazing to me how such a tiny little bird can be so captivating.
    So tell me, how do I post photos? I've got a cute little guy in my yard now that looks like he's wearing a tuxedo. I'd love to post his pic and show you all because I can't decide what species he is. He's never been to visit before.

• ctnchpr
    14 years ago

purple,

To post photos: Open an account at Photobucket.com, it's easy and free. After you upload your photo, copy the 'HTML Code' (3rd line under your photo), and paste it in the 'Message' box here. It will appear as several lines of code, but you'll see the photo when you 'Preview Message'.

• purple334
    14 years ago

:) thank you. I figured out how to post in the Gallery, but this is what I wanted. I'll try it now.

• purple334
    14 years ago

{{gwi:979659}}

Yay, I loaded a photo! Thanks ctnchpr! I have 2 hummingbirds right now. This one is the larger, and is very friendly. He's as curious about me as I am about him. Yesterday, while I was trimming crepe myrtles he was constantly flying right past me to get to the feeder, and while there he lets me get fairly close.

• tami58
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My feeders are up & I am impatiently tapping my foot waiting for the hummers.
    We have had a very cool spring this year. Does that mean the hummers will be later than last year? It looks like last year they were first spied around April 5 in my area.
    Has anyone in the southcentral Pa area seen amy yet?

• donnalovesblue
    14 years ago

Tami58..be patient a little longer! They WILL arrive! Guess they are on their own timeline, and not our personal calendars!LOL! I'm in the deep south and last year, mine seemed to arrive later than they did the year before. This season, I spotted my first (I think) about a week or so later as well. The migration map had shown they were north of me on 3/11, and I hadn't laid eyes on one around that time. It sure can be frustrating while we wait, so just keep tapping that foot a bit longer...you'll have a visitor soon!

Donna

• donnas_gw
    14 years ago

According to the migration map, they were supposed to get to my area April 12. I can see where the nectar in the feeders is going down, but I have yet to see a hummer. They must be coming when I'm not watching for them, or early in the morning before I wake up. I'm here most of the day and constantly watch for them. I guess when I see one, I'll see one LOL.

• freddhead
    14 years ago

It's April 19th, and at 8:30 this morning, our hummingbird feeder saw its first customer of the season. Welcome back Hummers!!! Lancaster, Pennsylvania!!

• ctnchpr
    14 years ago

Great job, purple!! I like that feeder!

That's great news, freddhead! They're moving North quickly!!

• jadegreen_17372
    14 years ago

Yea they are in Lancaster, we should see our first one any day then. We are in Franklin county. Have had the feeders out for almost 2 weeks now. Better change the liquid tomorrow if the rain clears out.

• purple334
    14 years ago

Great job, purple!! I like that feeder!

Thank you....
    I got the feeder at Lowe's. They have all kinds of great feeders. I like this one because the hummingbirds will sit on the little perches to drink... and you get a chance to really see them well.
    I also planted a hummingbird garden, with all kinds of flowers that they love. Seeds haven't sprouted yet.

• sujaco
    14 years ago

I'm looking for the hummers, too!

Well, what do you know! Right in the middle of typing this comment I had my first hummingbird of the year! I really hope I get a lot of them like I usually do. I've been feeding them for years and years in the same spot.

They have never been later than April 14th as they were in 2007 and they came on April 6th in 2008. But we had a long lasting spell of cold weather this winter. I hope that's all it was.

• penny1947
    14 years ago

We have had a lot of wind coming out of the north which makes it more difficult for the hummers to move north. Once we gets some good winds out of the south west those of us further north will start seeing more activity.

penny

• tami58
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I still haven't seen any hummers & my nectar levels stay the same. I'm changing & cleaning the feeders as recommended. I also just put a hanging pot of bright red fuschia beside each feeder. But I do live in the woods. Does this make it harder for the hummers to find me?

• rob_a
    14 years ago

Tammi, I envy you living in the woods. I wish I did. Those of us in the city have less natural environment the hummers like. A friend of mine at work lives in the country with five acres, and her hummers empty three feeders every other day. Your hummers will find you, and your woods are good.

• ctnchpr
    14 years ago

tami,

Hi there, fellow woods-dweller!! When I tell people that I live in the woods, they must think there are woods behind my house or something. But, when they visit for the first time, invariably, the first words out of their mouths are "Wow!! You DO live in the woods".

IMO, the hummers are more likely to find you in the woods; one would think they use the trees for cover as they migrate. I started out several years ago with just 2 or 3 hummers, but this is what it looks like now -

Here is a link that might be useful: Busy

• tami58
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ctnchpr, you only started attracting hummers a couple years ago? Wow! You really have come a long way! I've been avidly checking out all your videos for the last week. They are amazing. And, yes, I get the same response from people the first time they come to my house too. So that is good that I can expect hummers as soon as they pick up on where I am.
    Do you have plants out to support them as well or do you rely on the feeders? If you do have plants out I'm wondering which ones you find are the most attractive to the hummers?
    Rob, my little house in the woods is something I've always dreamed about. I just love it out here & all the wildlife that goes with it. My little piece of heaven that is for sure.Thanks for your support. I'll keep looking for my little guys to show up.

• ctnchpr
    14 years ago

Tami, I've been feeding the hummers for "several" years, about 15. Don't let that discourage you; when your hummers learn that you're a dependable source of nectar, they'll stick around, nest, and your resident population will grow quickly. I think our woods give us an advantage - an almost limitless number of nesting sites, and the swarms of skeeters, gnats, and no-see-'ums.
    I do grow some plants, but more for my enjoyment than the hummers. They'll fly past (and thru) my flowers to get to the feeders, probably because they can fill the tank at one spot while perching. The three favorites seem to be "Lady in Red" & "Black and Blue" Salvia, and Cardinal flower. All three are extremely easy to grow.

• purple334
    14 years ago

Oh no....they are gone. I guess they were just passing through.