Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about annuals for deck pots??

Posted by lary1047 z5 MI (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 08 at 2:00

Hi everyone!!

Can Fuchsia 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt' be used in a regular pot or do we have to use it as a hanging plant? We are looking for some nice plants for our new deck area. In the past we have used the Black and Blue salvia and the red also. Hummers sure like these. Looking for suggestions for colorfull plants that be put into pots for our hummers.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about annuals for deck pots??

Lary...I personally love the "new gold" lantana...I have them in huge pots on the corners of my patio and they really thrive, are drought tolerate and require little care, except cutting off spent flowers (hummers like it and it attracts beautiful butterflies)...and they are sun loving plants...actually the blooms are bright yellow and will look beautiful along with your red salvia (I'm In MS)

Donna

o

'Gartenmeister Bonstedt' is an upright fuchsia, not a trailer, so you can use it in a regular pot. I like to grow trailing fuchsias around the rim of the same pot, though, with mid-height fillers in between.

o

Pentas! Love em.

o

Most say hummers don't touch them, but petunia's at my house are a hit!!! I also like dwarf nicotiana. You'll also get visits from hummingbird moths. Mine has hosted the hummingbird moth caterpillar (large and green!), here is link to what you'll be looking for :) Christy

Here is a link that might be useful: Hummingbird moths and their caterpillar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here