Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snow and Hummers

Posted by salliestarr (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 12 at 8:16

A fine snow is falling here in SW VA and temps in mid 30s. I've seen two hummers at my feeder this morning. Amazing that they are here in this weather. Do they go into a kind of stupor in this cold weather? They look in great shape and must have had a good buffet on their northward trek. In fact one was feeding and chased another off......quite active. Hope they stay warm tonight!!!

Any ideas of algae control for a fountain that will not hurt birds or golden retrievers? Wondering about vinegar?

Thanks.....SS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snow and Hummers

Hi SS,

Stupor is what I go into when I've had too much Tequila. Torpor is what the hummers go into when it's too cold. They'll be OK, the little ones have been enduring sharp changes in weather for a looooong time.

And yes, vinegar would work great on your fountain.

cc

Here is a link that might be useful: Info

o

LOL.....knew I was close :-) Thanks for correcting me! They were here just a few minutes ago at the feeder. It's in the 40s but predicted low 30s tonight. Wish I could let them in my sunroom for the night. Good news re vinegar. I knew it wouldn't hurt my dogs but wondered about birds. I have a frog living in it too.......no fish though. Vinegar will be greatly diluted by the time the hummer drank........ss

o

sallie, I think I misunderstood your question about the vinegar. I thought you were going to clean the fountain with vinegar, but you're wanting to mix vinegar with the water to control algae? It probably won't hurt the birds, but they may not drink it. I'd be more concerned about the frog - they have very sensitive skin (think acid rain).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here