Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tnbrdnrd

Go Native!

ctnchpr
16 years ago

If you want to attract hummers using native plants, this is a good one. According to Wikipedia (and it's never wrong), the primary pollinator of Fire Pink (Silene virginica) is the RTHB. Mine are a good indicator of when the hummers are getting close - the first bloom this year was Apr 5, first hummer arrived the next day. If you can find some that need rescuing from developers, they are easily transplanted. Just look for a bright, red star a few inches off the ground.

Been trying to get a pic of the little male and female which are working these, but no luck so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fire pink on Wikipedia

Comments (28)

• mbuckmaster
    16 years ago

Neat little plant; thanks for the suggestion. It seems they only live for 2-3 years...do you know if the self-sow at all? If so, I'm going to have to get some!

• hummersteve
    16 years ago

Interesting looking native, dont think Ive ever seen any around here.

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    16 years ago

mbm - Yes, they reseed readily. There are 2 patches of these in my woods which get larger each year - with no help from me.

hummersteve -They are primarily a woodland plant, so you might see some in your city parks around Indy. The DW and I estimate we have 12-15 birds now. There are 11 feeders scattered around the house and at the edge of the woods to minimize fighting. Four of the feeders are clustered at the spot where all of them will eventually be for the Summer. Some of the hummers (mostly females) are cooperating and feeding at the cluster. The males are still chasing each other round & round & round the house.

I managed to catch just a glimpse of a male at the Fire Pink:

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Message for mbuckmaster: I've saved some seeds. Let me know if'n you wants 'em.

• christy2828
    15 years ago

I planted one of these 3 years ago, and it really hasn't done much of anything. Those are gorgeous, mine aren't nearly as leggy, it is more compact in the growth habit. It has bloomed every year, but a short show. This will be it's 3rd summer, maybe I'll see a bit more this year. Mine has also never reseeded. I'll try to get a pic of it in the morning and share.

Another plant that I haven't had much luck with is Indian Pink (spigelia marilandica). BEAUTIFUL when in bloom, and very nice foliage as well. Mine has never come back in the summer, so I've never seen the benefit of it as seasons pass.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dave's garden

• lovefornature
    15 years ago

Hi!!

Are these hardy in 5B???

• mbuckmaster
    15 years ago

Ctnchpr: absolutely! Thanks for remembering me. Email me at mattbuckmaster@hotmail.com with your snail mail and I'll send a SASE tomorrow. Thanks again!!

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lovefornature,
    The Wikipedia description says "It is protected as a state endangered species in Wisconsin...and as a state threatened species in Michigan..." That sounds like it would be hardy in zones 4 & 5.

• lovefornature
    15 years ago

Thanks Ctnchpr, sounds like it may be a little difficult to find :) No wonder I have never heard of the plant.

• joepyeweed
    15 years ago

I grow a similar plant, silene regia. Great for hummers also.

You can get both plants silene virginica and silene regia through mail order at Prairie Nursery.

Here is a link that might be useful: prairie nursery

• penny1947
    15 years ago

Both Silene and Spigelia are excellent hummer plants and hardy to zone 4 I believe. I have been trying to find a local garden center that offers them but not one does. I will have to break down and either order online or order seeds.

Penny

• jewelweed99
    15 years ago

ctnchpr-

Do you have any more of those Fire Pink seeds you'd be willing to share? If so, I'd love to have a few.

Thanks!

• ellix
    15 years ago

If there's any left I would love some too?

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, folks. They were all sent to mbuckmaster.

BTW, jewelweed 99, I love Jewelweed. Many years ago, before I started feeding hummers, I sat on my creek bank each fall and watched them swarm the Spotted Jewelweed.

• penny1947
    15 years ago

Another great plant to have for late summer early fall when migration south is in progress.

Penny

• tracey_nj6
    15 years ago

After seeing this post back in April, I put in an order for 4 plants (Sunlight Gardens). Wouldn't you know, come shipping time, some overzealous employee sold them all! Oh well, maybe next year, but I did get some other goodies; Silene regia, Liatris squarrulosa, & some Joe Pye ;)

• christy2828
    15 years ago

This is what is think is Silene Virgincia. Third year, and still not much to show....

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

christy,

This is what the foliage on my Fire Pink looks like:

The foliage on yours looks more like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Blue Violet

• christy2828
    15 years ago

LOL!! Then I guess my Silene Virgincia died :) The violet is growing where I planted it. Guess I'm having salad for dinner!! Thanks, Christy

• jewelweed99
    15 years ago

ctnchpr-

Will you have any Silene virginica seeds to share again this year? If so, can I have a few? Would love to have some of yours since I'm in Tennessee, too.

Thanks!

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Put me on your list too if you're able to collect some and willing to share. I need early bloomers for my hummingbirds.
    Are the flowers pink or red?
    I have a silene regia and love it but it blooms later.

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jewel & christie, Email your mailing address and I'll send you some.

christie, The flowers are red, not a pure red like Cardinal flower, but red nevertheless.

• christie_sw_mo
    15 years ago

Thank you Ctnchpr!
    Sending mail.

• llhowland44
    15 years ago

Ctnchpr-Any seeds left? I live right on the edge of some woods and have the perfect spot!

• ctnchpr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

44, Send me an email.

• penny1947
    14 years ago

I have a few seedlings growing albeit very slowly so I broke down and got one on Ebay this year as none of our local nurseries have ever carriwed it even thogh I have requested it from several nurseries in the past.

Penny

• llhowland44
    14 years ago

Ctnchpr- I'm having a heck of a time finding your email address. Can you email me your address and I'll send you a SASE? My email is llhowland44(at)yahoo(dot)com. thank you!

• jewelweed99
    14 years ago

ctnchpr-- thanks for emailing me about the Fire Pink seeds. I'd not looked at this thread since I posted the message on 4/20. I'm really looking forward to getting them!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions