Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hummers and other birds

Posted by sandandpines NC (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 29, 08 at 9:44

I recently purchased two tower-type trellises that have a small bird statuette on top. I have planted vines that hummers like in the pots that the trellises are in, and have two small feeders near the statuette birds too. The little statues look like small wrens or sparrows, and are black wrought iron. Now I am wondering if the bird statues might scare off the hummers?
Also we have three feeders on a cross-post in our yard that the hummers liked last year, but have seen none this year.
My husband wondered if the hanging baskets I put there are keeping hummers away. Right now those baskets have tiny bridal veil plants coming back from last year and nothing else in them.
Do small bird statues keep hummers away? Hanging baskets??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hummers and other birds

I don't know about the statuettes, but I have my feeder hanging next to a hanging basket of ivy and that has not deterred them as of yet. Hope this helps.

Sam

o

The bird statues will not scare the hummers. Unless they come to life and attack.

Hanging baskets will not scare hummers away...in fact, if they're planted with hummingbird-friendly flowers, they will do the opposite. But even with your bridal veil, they'll be fine. They're just a little late coming up for everyone, from what I read on here.

o

Thanks for the replies! We had them a bit earlier last year, but this year we have had a cooler, wetter spring so far. Maybe that's part of the delay in seeing them?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hummingbird Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here